Damp treatment in solid walls

Jo May

Hello.
Firstly I'm not a plasterer but would welcome your advise for when I engage one. I've received conflicting advice so want to do it right.
I'm renovating a 200 year old cottage which has solid 2 ft (approx) stone walls and solid floors.
The rear of the house is back to earth to a height of 2 feet.
I've removed vinyl wallpaper (!) and old plaster to a meter to reveal the stone which was damp but is now drying nicely and is in good condition.
I believe old walls like this need to breathe so I've been advised to membrane and plaster with breathable plaster such as White Wall.
If I understand correctly I DO NOT want to seal the wall with slurry or sand/cement so intend to do the above and make sure I have adequate ventilation and heating.
Am I on the right lines?
Thanks

Yes, a foot at one end to two feet at the other. It's a council owned tarmac alleyway.
You need to speak to them and explain the problem, membrane is a way to go but the water will ruin the building over time unless you direct it another way, i.e. With a pump system in place.

Thanks for the reply, sorry for the delayed response.
As far as I know it's been back to earth for 200 years. The stonework inside looks in very good nick. There is no 'running' (standing) water, more a slight dampness so don't think a pump system would be necessary. From reading advice like yours I still believe that membrane, heat and ventilation is the way to go. I have opened up a disused fireplace which I will now leave open - and perhaps even install a multi-fuel (if budget allows).