Damp & salt - would really appreciate some help please

LMK

Good evening,

Last summer we bought a 1970s bungalow which we had fully surveyed & rising damp was not found in the property. No problems with drains were found. The pipes for the heating comes from above & not below the property.

The vendor had previously had a chemical damp proof injected into an internal wall showing
damp. We have decorated the wall & the paint bubbled up from salt. The damp proofing is under warranty, however I’m not sure I trust the company. Normally I would hire a plasterer or builder to come in but I’m currently shielded.

So far I have removed the paint down to the plaster, sanded, washed & applied a salt neutraliser solution. The wall is drying & then I’ll do the same again.

Really hoping that it doesn’t need re plastering, however having spent some time having a look on here I think the wrong type of plaster was possibly used to replaster it. We have brand new carpets etc in the room so desperately trying to find another solution. Wishful thinking, I suspect.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Photos attached of the current plaster situation.

Thank you very much in advance,
Lucy

3DAEDBA8-306B-4A90-9E00-7C9A9AF46893.jpeg
2611F610-9896-4609-8758-54A5F9EE1C67.jpeg
B39EC1B4-EE7F-4AD8-9171-69803324A94B.jpeg

Update on the bad patch today. Definitely still salty!
Would appreciate any insight anyone has.
25AB0F34-3387-4039-BC51-A74114E6BF03.jpeg
Thank you.

Call back the damp company, looks like the injection has failed. Have a look outside to see if anything has built up against the outside wall, like garden dirt say. In theory that should not get across the wall cavity to inside but worth checking.

Reactions: LMK
Call back the damp company, looks like the injection has failed. Have a look outside to see if anything has built up against the outside wall, like garden dirt say. In theory that should not get across the wall cavity to inside but worth checking.
Thank you. I shall. They want to charge a large fee to reinspect even though it’s under warranty, which is annoying.
It’s an internal wall & the other side seems fine. No pipes underneath. It’s all very odd.

Don't bother paying to get them back, its only a little job to rectify it.. Put the money to the repair...

Don't bother paying to get them back, its only a little job to rectify it.. Put the money to the repair...
Thank you.
Do you think it’s the wrong type of plaster & not the injection failing? It doesn’t feel particularly damp, but there’s a lot of salt coming through suggesting it is or has been.

Removed the paint from the final bit of wall that was injected & it’s fair to say it is indeed damp!
Have contacted the damp company.
Thank you for your help.

E934A40A-AD73-419F-B02B-BAD1628AFF94.jpeg

Cant tell without knocking it off but it has to come off no matter what... Remove the plaster, treat the substrate with an anti salt solution, inject dpc, render with water resistant render, skim, skirt.....

Cant tell without knocking it off but it has to come off no matter what... Remove the plaster, treat the substrate with an anti salt solution, inject dpc, render with water resistant render, skim, skirt.....
Thank you for the advice. We are getting the damp company out & will get someone who knows what they are doing to do the work (hopefully the guarantee will cover it ) & I’ll just have to wait in another room.
Thanks again.

Thank you.
Do you think it’s the wrong type of plaster & not the injection failing? It doesn’t feel particularly damp, but there’s a lot of salt coming through suggesting it is or has been.
looks like re-plastered with gypsum, probably Bonding as that's usually the clueless chancers choice.
any decent spread will know that re-plastering after DPC installation requires a cement based plaster for example Thistle dri-coat as that will repel moisture whereas gypsum Bonding/Hardwall attracts it
using gypsum based plasters straight onto brick after a DPC installation wont validate any guarantee either...or at least it shouldn't do

Unfortunately, damp proofing is at least as bad as plastering (and probably even worse) for being riddled with an annoying percentage of chancers who care only about looking like they've done the job, just enough to get paid and run.

I reckon landlords are partly to blame, as many of them just want a 'fast fix and cover it' approach, so they send a lot of business towards damp-proofing chancers who'll tell them what they want to hear.

Thank you. I shall. They want to charge a large fee to reinspect even though it’s under warranty, which is annoying.
It’s an internal wall & the other side seems fine. No pipes underneath. It’s all very odd.
How much is the large fee? There is no way you should be paying a company to come back and sort there work out, is the fee refundable if they are at fault?

That's got to be more than rising damp.
Could you post some photos of the wall outside inline with the area of damp.

How much is the large fee? There is no way you should be paying a company to come back and sort there work out, is the fee refundable if they are at fault?
I had this issue before i got into plastering, they said it would be deducted but as far as i was concerned what was the odds of them finding it as their fault????? So i just put that money to the repair....