damp proofing under pavement vaults

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newby14

Hi, I'm looking for some advice on what I need to do in order to create a habitable space in my under pavement vaults. Thsee are the old victorian coal cellars attached to my property. I'm currently thinking a damp proof membrane and pump would meet the requirements. Do I also need to inject it? Also would it be possible for me to get the work done by a normal builder and inspected by an authorised person? Will this allow me to get an insurance backed guarantee on the work? If yes how do I go about it? Thanks in advance for your help.

Yes likely membrain and pumps are the best set up. No injection. The installer would need to be a approved contractor to provide a insurance backed warranty.

Where is the property? Someone here may be able to help/quote for you.

How damp are the walls ?

Personally I am not a fan of membrane and pump as I think its for people who cannot render.

What I usually do is go over the whole area with a meter and work out the amount of dampness that is coming through.

Sometimes its only a small amount, every job is different.

I don't like the idea of drilling into the walls as I think that is just going to promote more ingress.

Be careful about hiring a "Builder" as I have see the aftermath of their cock ups and they give the remedial sector a bad name.
I looked at a job a few months back and the next door had £30k + spent on the basement and it still leaked and that was done by a builder, no guarantee either so no come back.

Get a few prices at least 4 I would say and see what they recommend, get them to price for both systems too.

Status
Not open for further replies.