Damp problems

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

pistolpete

Hi everyone this is my first post

I bought a end terrace house six years ago when I boughtthe house it had black paint/tar painted on the end terrace external wall, andever since I've owned it I have had problems with damp on all the gable endinternal walls.

Two years ago I had the damp internal walls taken back tothe brick and rendered, but the damp has come back. The house has been reslatedand I'm in the process of having the front and gable sandblasted and pointedwith two coats of silicone sealant spayed on both blasted walls.

I think its penetrating damp although I'm not sure, and Iam going to knock the render off the walls again and I'm thinking about puttingmesh membrane on the walls and finishing it off with bonding.

One other thing I'm having the wall cavity filled withinsulation, I've looked at other post regarding damp walls and finding wherethe water is getting in, but after all the work I've had done and having doneI'm struggling to find where the water is getting in.

Am I doing the right thing regarding the membrane on theinternal walls.

Thanks in advance.
Peter

The damp is probably sandwiched in the walls as the outside is also sealed, I would sandblast but lightly, re point and check all drains and down pipes, hack off the internals, use heat and dehumidifier to dry it out, the damp proof membrane is good , I prefer the one where you screw battens on it,plumb and then board and skim. Re the insulation make sure you don't block air gaps to wooden floors.

Your damp may have been condensation due to the gable elevation being colder than the rest of the house :RpS_thumbup:

Thanks for the replies guys.

Just want to make sure the things I'm planning to do wont make the problem worse.

Cheers

Be careful with cavity insulation I have had 3 people contact me with damp issues and they didn't have damp before it was installed.

cavity's are meant to be open, if your going to insulate, dot and dab you internal walls with insulated board on the exposed walls, keep the heat in the house.

I think it is a very nice way to have suggested on our plaining thus we can easily know about lakeness of our planing,that is why I am here and wandering through the forum to have some general tren....!

Once again in English?

Status
Not open for further replies.