Damp problem on 1860's house

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrWobble

I rent an old 1860 built cottage.No DPC. It has a tiled roof. Ever since I moved in there has been a damp patch in my daughters room. On bad rainy days,water drips into the kitchen off the wooden palmet. The kitchen is under my kids bedroom,both places where the damp gets in more or less line up verticaly .This comes through an East facing exterior wall.

After nagging the landlord he has got some builders in. A month ago scaffolding went up,they've been here four days and have taken the old render off. The brickwork is really damaged with bricks missing in places. The "builders" knocked a hole through into the interior while removing the old render. Of all the builders who came to look at the job,no one went in the attic. I did and it looks like a chimney has been taken out and which would have gone down into my kids room,then down to the kitchen. Where the damp is in my kids room is smack bang where I reckon the old fire place would have been. You can see this from the outside where there are stretches every two courses in a vertical line.

The boss told me that they are going to K rend the exterior wall and this will stop any damp getting in. When I asked why its taking so long to get done,he said they need 3 good days to put the K rend on. That was weeks ago. From searching here and on the net,that seems a bit long.

Sorry for the long rant. Will K rend fix the damp problem ? I haven't much faith in these "builders" to be honest. I used to work in the trade as a bricky so have some idea of what's what.

Cheers,Andy.

Will I rend fix the problem? It's very hard to say from here, much easier on site, you need the cause firstly solution follows.

Can you take a few pics maybe and then some of us can maybe prescribe a potion for you :RpS_scared:

Status
Not open for further replies.