Damp patch chimney.

Conundrum

Hi lads,
I have had a leak from the flashings breaking down on my upstairs chimney breast. The flashings have been repaired 12 months ago and I have hacked the plaster off down to the bare brick so it could dry out. It is only a small patch about 1 1/2 m square on a working gas flued chimney. The bricks look nice and dry now, but I'm unsure what to use to repair it, in case any salts have been left.
Renovating plaster or sand cement mix, never used either before, retired sparky you see!!!!
Any help would be great cheers

Hi lads,
I have had a leak from the flashings breaking down on my upstairs chimney breast. The flashings have been repaired 12 months ago and I have hacked the plaster off down to the bare brick so it could dry out. It is only a small patch about 1 1/2 m square on a working gas flued chimney. The bricks look nice and dry now, but I'm unsure what to use to repair it, in case any salts have been left.
Renovating plaster or sand cement mix, never used either before, retired sparky you see!!!!
Any help would be great cheers
not sand and cement /renovating would do /or cut a nice square hole and dab a board on and skim