Damp on interior wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhoenixC

Hi all Newbie here.
Happy New Year to you all.
I am looking for the best solution to damp on the interior walls coming through the gable end of my house.
It is an old stone built house (about 140 year old) The walls are around 2 foot thick, no cavities, no damp proofing and no foundations either.
The outside wall is in good condition, no cracks in the mortar and the stone is in good condition. The damp is caused by the rain coming through the west facing gable end and is a problem both upstairs and downstairs. There are also two chimneys on the same gable end. I should say I live on the edge of the north pennines and the wind and rain can be pretty wild at times (especially this last year).
The plaster is starting to blister and bubble so it needs to be removed and replaced. I think its a lime based plaster both upstairs and downstairs. I was originally thinking of a sand and cement mix with waterproofer as a first stage. But after googling I was wondering if Izonil breathable plaster would be a better bet, and then a breathable paint to decorate it.
I am capable of doing the work myself (hopefully:rolleyes)) I have quite a bit of experience in plastering and rendering before, but only in a DIY capacity. But I dont have any experience of tackling this type of problem.
Apologies for my first post being a bit long winded but I was trying to give as much info as possible.

Many thanks in advance for any advice

Hi all Newbie here.
Happy New Year to you all.
I am looking for the best solution to damp on the interior walls coming through the gable end of my house.
It is an old stone built house (about 140 year old) The walls are around 2 foot thick, no cavities, no damp proofing and no foundations either.
The outside wall is in good condition, no cracks in the mortar and the stone is in good condition. The damp is caused by the rain coming through the west facing gable end and is a problem both upstairs and downstairs. There are also two chimneys on the same gable end. I should say I live on the edge of the north pennines and the wind and rain can be pretty wild at times (especially this last year).
The plaster is starting to blister and bubble so it needs to be removed and replaced. I think its a lime based plaster both upstairs and downstairs. I was originally thinking of a sand and cement mix with waterproofer as a first stage. But after googling I was wondering if Izonil breathable plaster would be a better bet, and then a breathable paint to decorate it.
I am capable of doing the work myself (hopefully:rolleyes)) I have quite a bit of experience in plastering and rendering before, but only in a DIY capacity. But I dont have any experience of tackling this type of problem.
Apologies for my first post being a bit long winded but I was trying to give as much info as possible.

Many thanks in advance for any advice
It might be better to line the wall ,that way you could also add some insulation behide it to

A breathable lime plaster would be a good option, I am a s/c waterproofer type of guy but it has pros and cons too..If you dryline it, that causes problems in the long term as the wall does not get any heat from the house and does not get help to stay dry.Therefore it may cause the walls to fall apart over a long type..

My thoughts would be to seal the outside ,(clear sealer of some type) or render (maybe) then hack off internal plaster and redo with lime plaster

Im with keith on this one if you've got room to membrane, stud out , insulate etc. stone walls take forever to dub out and straighten. Its quicker and more cost effective to stud it out and its a better job.IMO

my advise would be....
i am guessing pointed stone outside ?

rake out joints and also check chimney (check flashing or fillet )

repoint with hydraulic lime mortar (plastering sand/nhl3.5 lime 3:1)

you could then apply a breathable waterproofer

inside i would stick with the lime plaster ...how much you hack off will depend on the damage and size of the budget...

Last edited:
it is whats called penetrating - Damp m8, don't introduce any new building materials to an old stone/lime build it will make your problem worse ,do as em-Jenkins says above IMO .....

IMO ,i think condensation could be a big part of the problem ,i would normally never go for the cover over option .It has been said that the outside walls are fine ,so that should stop any penertrating damp . i think it cold air hitting warm ,best of luck with it

take any loose of and let breath then use hydrolic lime mix or lime putty with fibers in backing coat to take shrinkage keep each coat misted down each day for 7 to 10 days test with thumb nail if ready for next coat .cheapest way is make your own hydrolic lime mix clean washed sharpe sand hydrolic lime just add fibers when mixing

I'm with Keith as well. Can't really remember seeing any penetrating damp in 2 foot think wall before. Not above ground anyway.

I would just batten over the existing and board and skim.

Then paint or spray the outside with a water-repellent of some kind.

I suggest to place a heater in front of the wall and enclose the door for one day. This will reduce the humidity and moisture.

I suggest to place a heater in front of the wall and enclose the door for one day. This will reduce the humidity and moisture.

If you evaporate the moisture out the wall with the heater. You need to ventilate the room so it can escape. Otherwise you will cause more condensation else where.

What you would be doing it effect is the opposite of what you said and increase humidity and moisture. Bit like a sauna.

Status
Not open for further replies.