damp on ceiling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

beddy

Right

when we moved in 18mths ago everything was fine. Over the next few months we had two mould patches appear. Checked the roof for leaks. Nothing. Back of the boards was bone dry.

Kept bleaching them until we decorated. Checked the loft and insulation was only 50mm so i added an extra 200mm. Also noticed there was no vents In the room so drilled a few holes and added a vent. Bleached the mould one last time. Stain blocked it and painted it.

Its Been painted a couple of months now and since we've had the colder mornings the patches have been soaking wet. Almost as if the stain block is attracting it. Because the waters sitting there it's started to stain again. Not mould like last time I think it's just water staining because the waters got nowhere to go. Wipe dry with the cloth and the stain goes so I want to sort it before other gets worse..

Only one question. ..how do I sort it?!

Last edited:
you have to find the source of the damp before you can sort it, water may not be obvious it could be travelling to that spot so you could have a leak in roof, not gonna be easy

It could be moister in the air ? I had a leak in the kitchen and painted it with stain block and decorated but now and again when I'm cooking there are damp looking patches where the leak was

Is the stain near an outside wall ? is the house construction solid wall or cavity ? are the windows double glazed and do they have night or trickle vents ? And final one is there a chimney breast wall near the stain ?

Steve the stain block is attracting the moisture I had the same in my old house the condensation would only sit on where the stain block was.
Try some anti condensation paint they used to sell it in b&poo
Red tin made by international & it works :RpS_thumbup:
No condensation or mould after that :RpS_thumbup:

Yeah, the stain block isn't so much 'attracting' the moisture, more a case of it not allowing the moisture to be drawn into the ceiling because it is more impervious to water penetration.
So - what you get is the rest of the room being able to absorb the moisture into the surface without showing and the 'water-resistant' stain-blocked areas having water sitting on it.
Think of it this way - if you were to pin a plastic sheet onto the ceiling and boil a kettle, where d'ya think the water would show first?
I reckon you need to cut them sections out Steve, or stain-block the lot :RpS_thumbup:

Like it JJ.........thinking outside the box with that solution................:RpS_thumbup:

That's what I thought it was Al just you explained it better.

Churchy its near the windows. Top half of the house is stud. Front and back and theyre insulated.No chimney breast. Double glazing with no trickle vents although I have fitted a vent 4 ft away from the window.

Or as I tell customers........

OPEN

THE

FUKIN

WINDOW!!!!!

even on the night-latch :RpS_thumbup:

Last edited:
Already have both windows on half lock

Maybe its cus I'm too fat and it's excess sweat due to lack of food!

could be the steam comeing off the mcdonalds you have next to you on the beside cabinet mate

Yeah, the stain block isn't so much 'attracting' the moisture, more a case of it not allowing the moisture to be drawn into the ceiling because it is more impervious to water penetration.
So - what you get is the rest of the room being able to absorb the moisture into the surface without showing and the 'water-resistant' stain-blocked areas having water sitting on it.
Think of it this way - if you were to pin a plastic sheet onto the ceiling and boil a kettle, where d'ya think the water would show first?
I reckon you need to cut them sections out Steve, or stain-block the lot :RpS_thumbup:

You know what I meant ffs
I didn't have time to go into detail at 7:39am this morning grrrrrr!!

:RpS_biggrin:

Just use anti condensation paint it's got insulation in it.. Bye bye condensation :RpS_thumbup:

Ps it's £125 a tin :)

You know what I meant ffs
I didn't have time to go into detail at 7:39am this morning grrrrrr!!

:RpS_biggrin:

:-0

:RpS_unsure:
Right

when we moved in 18mths ago everything was fine. Over the next few months we had two mould patches appear. Checked the roof for leaks. Nothing. Back of the boards was bone dry.

Kept bleaching them until we decorated. Checked the loft and insulation was only 50mm so i added an extra 200mm. Also noticed there was no vents In the room so drilled a few holes and added a vent. Bleached the mould one last time. Stain blocked it and painted it.

Its Been painted a couple of months now and since we've had the colder mornings the patches have been soaking wet. Almost as if the stain block is attracting it. Because the waters sitting there it's started to stain again. Not mould like last time I think it's just water staining because the waters got nowhere to go. Wipe dry with the cloth and the stain goes so I want to sort it before other gets worse..

Only one question. ..how do I sort it?!

:RpS_thumbup:

double-finger.gif

I've got 2 thirds of a tin left steve you can have it for £83.33 :RpS_thumbup:
Collection only.

lee i forgot to tell you. ive got something of yours at my house...i think you desperately need it tomorrow... :rolleyes)

Status
Not open for further replies.