Damp management.

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr.B

I have a job to price up. It's an old stone farmhouse which is reading 20% on the surveyors moisture meter.

At some point during the 80's the walls have been redone with float and set cement and gypsum.

The surveyor recommends "damp management" rather than trying to eradicate the dampness by injecting DPC etc...

Anyway I need to hack off the walls and replace in a breathable material.
Other than traditional lime mortar methods, what other materials are out there to use? Renderlite etc..?

Injecting stone is a waste of time and money..............the term damp management is a new one though.................:RpS_laugh:

You could use a tanking system but its not breathable. or seal the stonework externally with something like:
Extreme Climate - Next Generation Water Seal - Kingfisher Building Products

And float it out with a renovating plaster or stud it all out membrane the back insulate the middle. thin poly on top then duplex and skim.

I tend to disregard what surveyors reports say regarding damp and check it out myself

Last edited:
Damp management. Il put it on the next lot of cards I get done if I do this job.
Surveyors usually recommend hack of 1.2m inject (even if it's 2ft thick stone wall?) and replace with s&c 3:1 with waterproofer and skimm.

So I don't know gents?

Hmmmmm rising damp caused by the render sounds like a load of bull to me. Maybe if it's rendered to a solid floor and sucking up moisture that way??

I'm going to have a look next week and see what's what. At the moment I have a copy of the surveyors report that the potential customer sent me which is 40 pages long!

Its either bridging as Carlos said or it could be a ground water issue.

Surveyors what do they know ? its usually pass the buck isn't it, i.e "recommend the services of a damp and timber expert"

Status
Not open for further replies.