Damp hiding suggestions please!

Members online

Zachl

Afternoon all.

I'm looking for some advice from the experts!

I have an old end terrace house. Solid wall (no cavity). Road runs over a stream apparently.

It had damp when I bought it 4 years ago. Had a damp Injection put in. Had all the plaster off downstairs because it was dead. Plasterer came and dot a dabbed plasterboard throughout downstairs. I now have damp coming through all the adhesive points. I say now have.. Its been pretty much since day one. I've cut a load out and living with holes for now but I'd like to sell at some point in the next few years and need to make it passable.

The damp will probably never go away. Outside is cement rendered on the end wall which probably isn't helping. I just want to hide it. My idea was to remove the bottom half of plasterboard all the way round and replace it with foil backed but a quick look on here and sounds like you can't dab that. I'd really like to not have to strip the lot and start again, I just don't have the money, and the walls aren't all that flat so battening would be a nightmare.

What would you do?

Thanks

Zach

Damp injection is a hoax /scam
More than likely you have Cold bridging on dot & dab
Ground levels likely ti be issue too floor level
Maybe !
Never should of d&d on solid wall construction
Solution rip of the plasterboard
Use lime lite renovating & skim or similar

Your welcome

Dabbing plasterboard is the worst you can do on damp, it just sucks it through.

You can either hack it off min a metre high and s/c to dam it...... which I’m not a huge fan of.

Or do the same but use limelite renovation plaster and let it breathe it out..... which is my answer to everything lol.

Thanks guys. The plasterboard wasn't my idea. Had 3 quotes from people who all wanted to board it.

Will have a look at some of your suggestions thanks!

If someone sells such a house in summer , only for the new owners to discover , come winter , the dabbing on solid walls , is it just to claim repair fees through the courts if the seller was aware , or is it a case of sold as seen and sue the mortgage surveyor

Dabbing plasterboard is the worst you can do on damp, it just sucks it through.

You can either hack it off min a metre high and s/c to dam it...... which I’m not a huge fan of.

Or do the same but use limelite renovation plaster and let it breathe it out..... which is my answer to everything lol.
Danny someone has hacked Jess's account.
Actually don't worry, they seem a whole lot more knowledgeable than her. Let it ride.

You fit a proper damp-proof course. Cut and insert, a yard at a time with an overlap and waterproof mortar, same as you would for underpinning. It does not take that long, you can have several cuts going on around the house at the same time. If you use a brickbrace support it's even easier https://www.brickbrace.com/
Damp injection can be expensive and not always work.
This way you can do it yourself in your own time and save on cost. When selling you have the photo's and will have to buy an indemnity anyway.

Then, sort the internal finish. Bof is right, hiding it is now a legal liability.

Are you sure jess that finish hangs about also your creating a barrier with pva its supposed to all breath from back to the front
Lol
This point raises the skimming dry PVA debate

Think big
Dig it all out
Put glass over it and make a feature of the stream
Get Kevin McCloud round for TV
Sell like hot cakes

It's the only logical choice...

If I foam fix some plasterboard will it come through the foam the same way it does the dab?

Can't believe you are still asking us to conspire to deliberately hide a big defect and defraud a housebuyer.

If it is as bad as you say then it will cost so much to fix that the insurance company if not the new owner will come after you in the courts.
Then your lawyer will try to say you're a poor innocent and relied upon advice from this forum.

If someone sells such a house in summer , only for the new owners to discover , come winter , the dabbing on solid walls , is it just to claim repair fees through the courts if the seller was aware , or is it a case of sold as seen and sue the mortgage surveyor
Having now asked for our advice on this forum, clearly the defendant is aware of the defect and sought to not declare it or downplay it, Your Honour.
The surveyor will have enough weasel words in the report to cover their own assets, mainly and correctly because they cannot see the defect when it is dry, and it may not even show on a moisture meter, Mlud.

Ffs people chat some shift computer says no ! Understand why a area has water regression before actually tackling the problem and your half way there!

It's the only logical choice...

If I foam fix some plasterboard will it come through the foam the same way it does the dab?
For facts sake:
Foam will not wick water near as much as gypsum based adhesive

That does not mean you can foam a board on and problem solved
I think @Dollar is on the money (no pun intent)

Battening an uneven wall is not much harder than battening an even wall just a case of packing it out where needed which is extra faff but not really extra work - it can be quite satisfying?

If render on outside has sbr in it then water can’t escape externally and if you batten and DPM/VCL inside the water can’t go inside wards either your wall would become like a massive tampon and when they are full they leak somewhere.