Damp along party wall, which plaster material to use??

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good prices but there are suppliers nearer, ime sure there used to be one in your area.

May I ask another question??

do I need to completely remove all plaster and backing coats completely back to the stone rubble wall before I apply a lime plaster?

Or can I just remove the first top coat of plaster like I have done so far but leave the scored backing render and just apply on top of that?

Im not exactly sure what the render is so perhaps is be better stripping it all off and starting again with lime Materials as planned?

Any advice is much appreciated

Ok. I can do that for the downstairs on this rubble wall.

For the remaining ground floor and upstairs walls which suffer no damp, are 9 inch brick and currently have what I think is a gypsum plaster (don't know for sure but it is pinky) can I just skim over what's already there and if so can you use a lime finish on a gypsum plastered wall or would the finish have to be a modern gypsum skim?

Ok. I can do that for the downstairs on this rubble wall.

For the remaining ground floor and upstairs walls which suffer no damp, are 9 inch brick and currently have what I think is a gypsum plaster (don't know for sure but it is pinky) can I just skim over what's already there and if so can you use a lime finish on a gypsum plastered wall or would the finish have to be a modern gypsum skim?
Just pva and skim unless you want to hack it all off and lime render it,,

I'm not keen on hacking anymore plaster off I have to say. Ill just do a PVA coat as you say and then skim. When you say skim do you mean gypsum or lime finish?

Thavk you once again. I really appreciate all the help.

So my final plan is to hack off all plaster on rubble wall downstairs and on all brick walls downstairs too. Then do downstairs completely in lime only to allow the walls to breathe and deal with the damp.

Then upstairs retain the gypsum plaster on the wall and use a PVC and then multi finish gypsum skim as upstairs is unlikely to suffer damp and the walls will have far less moisture in them so it won't be as vital for the walls to breathe hence it being ok to use gypsum multi finish on upstairs only.

Do you think this is a sensible plan?

Did one of these a few weeks ago 9" solid wall, was originally specced for a DPC injection but after hacking off and finding as with most 9" I've done the damp course mortar joints are perished, with having to give a 25 year guarantee I ended up tanking it to be on the safe side... With KA tanking being so cheap it's worth the addition cost and peace of mind

My only worry with tanking a wall is that the material will not allow the wall to breathe, this is why I was going for the lime plaster

My brother is a plasterer but has only used sand n cement and gypsum. He has never used lime but is willing to give it ago. From what the guys on here tell me and from what I've read I use 3 or 4 parts sand, 1 hydraulic lime, apply thin coats, apply firmly and do not allow to dry too quick. I.e keep spraying it with water so that it disent dry too quick shrink and crack. I also read I need to soak the wall before doing it. But my brother will be doing it.

Sorry just read your first post fully.. Plus other comments..

lime is the best way to go in these situations but the cost generally puts people off and people want to find a cheaper alternative..

There are many different ways most of which has been mentioned

good luck with it

Didn't notice if anyone mentioned painting..

Lime once full set and dry should only be painted with a breathable paint or lime wash otherwise you will undo all the hardwork by sealing it..

Thank you very much for all advice. Is there anything else to be aware of that I should tell my brother that hasnt already been mentioned by the lime guys on here or from what i mebtioned in my posts a couple of comments ago when working with lime?

Thin coats and don't allow it to dry to quick, apply firmly and get mix right

Can anyone tell from the picture in this link whether infact this is already a lime plaster? It does appear to have horse hair in it. The bottom half of the picture shows what I have already removed, where there was damp. You can see a cement screed about a foot up the wall. The damp was just below this.

I was going to remove all the plaster on this rubble wall including the backing Cement which is rediculously difficult to get off and then replanted in pure lime. However I am now wondering if the plaster already on is infact lime already.

Please see pic using link below.

DIYnot > Network

Status
Not open for further replies.