customer had a problem with paint crazing

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobTheSpread

So when i looked at the problem it was about a square meter on an internal wall. i had scraped, 2 coat p.v.a (wickes) and 2 coat skim. She doesnt blame the plastering as its not blown or crazed in any way, it wasnt greasy and it was the first room plastered so i saw it when dry and looked normal. Her son had mist coated the house with 10% watered emulsion. and she said it was only when he painted the wall colour that th paint crazed, she said the paint peeled off and they tried again and it happened again! I didnt want to put down her sons painting as she is a good customer but i did feel bad not knowing the answer for her. anyone have any idea? cheers

I tend to water the paint down 50/50 when mist coating.but why it should craze in one area I don't know.no damp in the wall or backing onto a radiator in another room?

Tell them to use an oil based undercoat in that area.

Dunno the cause but totally unrelated I saw gloss react and bubble up on the back of a door once real bad in one area.

Turned out to be and automatic air freshener positioned directly behind where the door swung to, every time the door opened it sprayed onto it in the same place.

Was a mystery at the time but that doesn't make it any less off a boring story today.....don't know why I bothered to type it really.:RpS_confused:

Tell them to use an oil based undercoat in that area.

Dunno the cause but totally unrelated I saw gloss react and bubble up on the back of a door once real bad in one area.

Turned out to be and automatic air freshener positioned directly behind where the door swung to, every time the door opened it sprayed onto it in the same place.

Was a mystery at the time but that doesn't make it any less off a boring story today.....don't know why I bothered to type it really.:RpS_confused:

PMSL................:RpS_laugh:

thinking about it she had moved her daughter in the room for a few weeks before they painted so could have been an air freshener or sun cream spray mabey, anyway i looked at it as soon as she phoned as i was in the area. talking of boring painting stories i once saw an apprentice painter paint '****' on a wall before the last coats of paint and it ghosted through when you looked at the right angle, the customer saw it and it was still makes me laugh.

There's definitely something nasty in the air fresheners.

I got a free one when i had my car washed. Our lass hung it off the knob that adjusts the wing mirror and it hung/wedged between the door and the side of the dash.

Within a few days it had bubbled and peeled the plastic coating off the door and side of dash......

Beat that boring story. :flapper:

i agree there is definitely something nasty in the air fresheners. i too got a free one when i got my van washed, and that night i ran out of edible cock rings so got our lass to hang it off my knob. anyway the same thing happened with bubbleing and peeling. cant believe theres no thrush warning in these health and safety aware days.

moisture trapped behind? paint applied too thickly in one area? 2nd coat applied over mist before its fully dry (just because its touch dry doesnt mean it is fully dry) three of the main causes of micro crazing (like an eggshell, that you hit and it has tiny cracks in surface)
another is paste residue but as its been skimmed it cannot be that,
As mentioned oil based u/c should cure it, ( sand it a bit before applying u/c )

Status
Not open for further replies.