Curved bay window

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

ndavenport

Hi,
I have a single brick curved bay window in a bedroom which is a severecold spot.
I am intending to batten it out/insulate and install a new windowsill but amwondering about how to dry line with regard to it being curved.

I have heard that 6mm plasterboard exists that can be bent but have never seen it for sale.

Is it realistic to bend 9.5mm?

If anyone who has any experience could tell me what they did I would be grateful.

Cheers

Neil.

or just dampen down any normal plaster board and leave it leaned up against the wall it will bend on its own.

Iv used 6mm glassroc on tight radius curves, you should be able to get it from a merchants.
Iv also bent 15mm duraline boards without wetting them, just put a few blocks/bags of plaster under each end of the boards then they will bend under there own weight.

Cut the board to length of the radius or a bit longer. Dampen the back a bit then lay it over something high enough to form the curve. Dab it in place and you could also bang a couple of hammer fixings in to keep it tight in place

Here is my idea put false stud wall up in front of bay insulate behind stud double up on it .plasterboard as normal skim it I know you have lost the curve but you will benefit from no coldness in bay! I know because I have the same problem !better still make sure your missus sleeps closest to the bay window!

use insulated board. cut it into 12" strips (300mmx2400mm) and it'll bend enough to screw it.

Here is my idea put false stud wall up in front of bay insulate behind stud double up on it .plasterboard as normal skim it I know you have lost the curve but you will benefit from no coldness in bay! I know because I have the same problem !better still make sure your missus sleeps closest to the bay window!

Put a cushion on top and you have a bay window seat

Using a standard 12.5mm board (or 9.5mm),score some lines on the back of the plaster board top to bottom approx 50mm apart and then carefully snap along the lines and this will give you a 'tambour door' effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.