CSCS Green card

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpankySouthport

Private Member
What's people thoughts with the changes that have come into effect from the 1st July 2014..

No operatives card only labourers card will it make a difference?

I'm in the process of getting NVQ level 2 and have 4 years left on my operatives card so won't Make much difference to me but for people needing there's renewing??

What's people thoughts with the changes that have come into effect from the 1st July 2014..

I'm in the process of getting NVQ level 2 and have 4 years left on my operatives card so won't Make much difference to me but for people needing there's renewing??
sorry cant help but thought i would comment :RpS_thumbup: hope this helps :RpS_unsure:

So its just one card for all trades and labs aswell ?!?

Great idea and said it years ago you plasterers with the green labourers card winging it to get on site you will only be labouring on site from now on or not getting past the gate :) save the abuse I've heard it all for years it ain't my rules and yes they gave the quals out willy nilly especially up to level 2 it's gonna get worse the benchmark is gonna be level three and the wages will match it I guarantee :)

Great idea and said it years ago you plasterers with the green labourers card winging it to get on site you will only be labouring on site from now on or not getting past the gate :) save the abuse I've heard it all for years it ain't my rules and yes they gave the quals out willy nilly especially up to level 2 it's gonna get worse the benchmark is gonna be level three and the wages will match it I guarantee :)

Haha flynny you love that soap box of yours don't ya!

Problem is now though with the changes if you want to get someone to come labouring they can't just get a green card and get on they have to pay to get assessed and show experience.

Like flynny said ages ago all this will filter through into domestic. Everyone at some point will need a card for health and safety reasons. Don't know how they will enforce it but they'll think of something. It's a huge money spinner.

Like flynny said ages ago all this will filter through into domestic. Everyone at some point will need a card for health and safety reasons. Don't know how they will enforce it but they'll think of something. It's a huge money spinner.
It will get to the point where the customer will want to see it and if you haven't got
it you are unqualified and may lose the job then there will be them customers who will try and use it to try to get a cheaper rate.

People know u cant kill them with plaster as u can with gas/elec so they ddont respect it and the reality is is that the powers that be dont respect the trade otherwise it would be tightly regulated already...

If somebody is cheaper but hasn't got the card they would still get the job in most cases I would say.

I heard that they are going to get rid of the cscs system soon. They want to send people on two day safety courses (not sure how often) and aswell as loosing your wages( if self employed) you'll also have to pay 150 pounds for the privilege.

tend to agree, just get qualified and have done with it.
were getting asked for it on smaller sites now,and as said it will filter down to domestic over the next few years of that im sure. my lads all have min level 2, there easy to get so there aint noexcuses. you can argue the rights and wrongs of it but that's how it is. lads go on about how other trades are regulated etc and why not plastering/rendering, the card is a step in the right way for me.
the couple of hundred quid it costs to process it or what ever can be off set against your tax at the end of the year.

Last edited:
Its thats the case flynny fakes will be done overnight
You can get fakes but they can be checked very easy imagine doing a job on the domestic the. The customer coming to you just befor payment saying I'm not paying your card is fake but coz I'm a nice person you can have half lol

Mate of mine recently had a tender package for a big refurb job, one of the criteria was all operatives to hold a level 3 nvq. He'd only be able to send 2 lads out of about 30 on that site.

Mate of mine recently had a tender package for a big refurb job, one of the criteria was all operatives to hold a level 3 nvq. He'd only be able to send 2 lads out of about 30 on that site.
Had a similar thing had the drawing through for a job and the criteria was I had to have a gold card to even price it also render systems had a problem on one of his jobs a while back he needed some one with a gold card to be on site at all time. It won't be long before jobs are advertised with a minimum level three which will in the end start a pay structure. Most industries have this lets take nurses and teachers as an example, the pay goes on quals and experience but I know a lot of teachers who have been overlooked for good positions because experience was not enough on it's own and yes they were very good teachers but that's the rules some never even got an interview.

Had a similar thing had the drawing through for a job and the criteria was I had to have a gold card to even price it also render systems had a problem on one of his jobs a while back he needed some one with a gold card to be on site at all time. It won't be long before jobs are advertised with a minimum level three which will in the end start a pay structure. Most industries have this lets take nurses and teachers as an example, the pay goes on quals and experience but I know a lot of teachers who have been overlooked for good positions because experience was not enough on it's own and yes they were very good teachers but that's the rules some never even got an interview.
If you believe a gold card will bring riches you will be disappointed.

Yeah but flynny do you really think they going to enforce it? They haven't done with the operatives card? What's gonna be the difference?

Random spot checks?
They are already enforcing it most sites you can't get on and do a skilled job with a labourers card. Most council contracts are not given out to main contractors with an unskilled workforce mainly because of insurance issues. If anyone does get on a job as a skilled worker and there is an issue involving HSE you can guarantee this is the gettout card that will **** some poor plasterer on a labourers card and the checks are in place in your induction if you get that far.

Status
Not open for further replies.