CSCS card - how to get one without doing an NCQ?

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think their about £750 I got mine funded for free some scheme they wa doin in my area. Check out YTA training Bradford see if it's still got funding.

I'm using The Plasterers Forum Mobile App

I think their about £750 I got mine funded for free some scheme they wa doin in my area. Check out YTA training Bradford see if it's still got funding.

I'm using The Plasterers Forum Mobile App
just looked in to this on line,, they are still doing it but you must live locally to bradford | leeds,, i live in brighton, will have to try and find one nearer to me,, cheers mate

Phone em up lee, they should be able to advice you what to do next, its good your prepared to get some qualifications.. nice one, I,m 48 and went on a course couple of weeks ago...

Phone em up lee, they should be able to advice you what to do next, its good your prepared to get some qualifications.. nice one, I,m 48 and went on a course couple of weeks ago...
will do cassie,, cheers, what course did you do

will do cassie,, cheers, what course did you do

Did mine as an apprentiship when I left school mate, it was city and guilds craft, then city and guild advanced craft, 4 years.. think its an NVQ 2 you are after, thats similar to c and g craft.. solid plastering...

The cscs cards are a nightmare, the operatives test is just health and safety, it dosnt mean you can actually do the job... I had boys on an EWI site and the company i was working for made us change all the operatives cscs cards from Plasterer's to Renderer's another £30 each...by the time you finish youll have a wallet full of different cards. Plus i was told that Wetherbys are now going to charge £180 for an approved installer card (which you will need to work on their system)...More money for the big man ffs...

Cscs cards are loAd of shite I had to pay 600 notes to Goldtrowel to get my NVQ which took me 6hrs in 1day but if u want site work you have to pay it

Nvq.....!

Had a labourer with me a few weeks ago for a house render, first day me " right knock one up 1 and 4 don't forget the waterproofer /febmix and put a shovel full of lime in the mix". Him "err what do you mean 1 & 4 "Me you have a NVQ 2 in plastering, don't they teach you mixes at that level" Him I know how to do plaster repairs patches in walls.

Good lad but NVQ 2 what a waste!

The cscs cards are a nightmare, the operatives test is just health and safety, it dosnt mean you can actually do the job... I had boys on an EWI site and the company i was working for made us change all the operatives cscs cards from Plasterer's to Renderer's another £30 each...by the time you finish youll have a wallet full of different cards. Plus i was told that Wetherbys are now going to charge £180 for an approved installer card (which you will need to work on their system)...More money for the big man ffs...
You can have all your quals on one card you just need to get it updated.

Had a labourer with me a few weeks ago for a house render, first day me " right knock one up 1 and 4 don't forget the waterproofer /febmix and put a shovel full of lime in the mix". Him "err what do you mean 1 & 4 "Me you have a NVQ 2 in plastering, don't they teach you mixes at that level" Him I know how to do plaster repairs patches in walls.

Good lad but NVQ 2 what a waste!
Yes unfortunately the cscs has made the a level two pretty useless coz they are given willy nilly so the bench mark needs to start at level three.

Did you have your certificates? Mine says CGLI craft certificate, advanced craft certificate and approved apprenticeship

Yes unfortunately the cscs has made the a level two pretty useless coz they are given willy nilly so the bench mark needs to start at level three.
Flynny I got offered level 3 all I had to do was a bit of rendering which I couldn't be arsed to do I just wanted a card to get on site, it is a load of poo the only benefit will if the government keep cutting back and stop handing them out willy billybilly

Did you have your certificates? Mine says CGLI craft certificate, advanced craft certificate and approved apprenticeship
says NVQ 3... they have records of my city and guilds etc.. also got NVQ 2 in drylining,, did the exam as a guinea pig for B/G years ago.. 1st person to do that in UK... and wall and floor tiling acreditation B.. worth having I reckon..

I just completed my NVQ level 2 in the summer and i can honestly say it was no different to what we did during NVQ level 1 apart from floor screeding in Level 2 which was about the size of a rabbit hutch lol.

You only have to demonstrate a level of competence to pass each test, which includes skimming a small wall, re-board & skim a ceiling, Setting out plumb dots and screed, floating and skimming a window wall, Setting angle beads to a window. There was also some fibrous plastering tests as well, making a reverse mould, make coving and also making a ceiling rose

During all of these tests there is the theory aspect of the NVQ (classwork) ! If you dont pass the theory you dont get your NVQ. Basically, the NVQ is just a training qualification and does NOT make you a good plasterer in any way what so ever.

Thats a small insight to Level 1 & 2.

Just going back to the original post. I am assuming by what has been said i don't have to sit the test having an NVQ' but just paye for the card. Is this correct ?

Just going back to the original post. I am assuming by what has been said i don't have to sit the test having an NVQ' but just paye for the card. Is this correct ?
You sit a health and safety test then send off your quals and get the relevant card have a read on cscs on the forum it will tell you all there is to know :)

Just checked on there site Health And Safety Tests To Apply For CSCS Cards

This is what it says...
[h=4]EXEMPTIONS[/h] If you have achieved a construction related NVQ or SVQ within the last two years and are applying for a CSCS card for the occupation the NVQ or SVQ relates to, you may not have to pass a CITB Health, Safety and Environment Test. Please check with your training provider. This is only available to new applications and cannot be used for card renewals.

Status
Not open for further replies.