CSCS card - how to get one without doing an NCQ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ksjs

Hello,

I've done a quick search on here but threads talking about CSCS cards didn't really answer my question.

Basically I want to get a CSCS card but don't want to do any qualifications. I've looked at the CSCS website and emailed them stating my situation i.e. no qualifications except for a short course, site work and domestic work in the belief that I could get a card based on professional experience / being assessed.

They said this isn't possible and I'd need an NVQ. I have no desire to do an NVQ.

It looks like I should be able to apply for and get the Red Experienced Worker card and then get the Blue Skilled Worker card (taken from the CSCS website: "If you do not have these qualifications, you may apply for a skilled card if you are experienced in your job").

Has anyone gone down this route, or got a card just by being assessed?

Also, when people ask for a CSCS card is it ALWAYS skill related or is it sometimes just the H&S requirement they're after?

Thanks.

Plastering wise with no quals you can get a basic site operative (labourer) but might be frowned upon on some sites even hough most just want to see a cscs card

or

Its a trainee red cscs card - valid for 3 years and you cant renew unless u do n nvq in that period .

I personally think its aload of b*ll***s - plastering for many many years on domestic and commercial sites yet no nvq means you cant get the skilled/ experienced card ... all govt. money making scheme ... 1200 sheets for an nvq - hahah yeah ok

you can do an EWA ( experienced workers assesment route) 2 day assessment at various training centres or you can do the OSAT ( on site assessment test) both of these will gain you the NVQ needed for the blue card, unfortunately you wont get the blue card without the NVQ

Also, when people ask for a CSCS card is it ALWAYS skill related or is it sometimes just the H&S requirement they're after?

Thanks.
It's both the blue card is H&S & has your profession/skill on the back

I have the blue card with an NVQ 2. When it runs our next year is it just a straight forward renewal????

you can do an EWA ( experienced workers assesment route) 2 day assessment at various training centres or you can do the OSAT ( on site assessment test) both of these will gain you the NVQ needed for the blue card, unfortunately you wont get the blue card without the NVQ
Are you sure about this (OSAT) - just contact CSCS and they'll send someone out to assess your work? Sounds too simple.

Well I dnt have any quals and just renewed mine. Just ring up book your health and safety test once passed apply for your card simples.

From the lads I've seen with nvqs you could send your pet gold fish in for you to do the assessment . It absolutely stinks the standards of some work considering the amount of decent lads out of work to choose from, are contractors actually frightened of sending some one packing that Arnt up to scratch ?

Well I dnt have any quals and just renewed mine. Just ring up book your health and safety test once passed apply for your card simples.
Been doing more looking into this. If I'm understanding things right it's not enough just to do the health and safety test, you must also either have an on site assessment or complete an NVQ. I live in North Wales and the OSAT isn't offered locally and I do not want to do an NVQ.

It seems the only options open to me are therefore:

- Forget about getting a CSCS card
- Travel somewhere to do an assessment e.g.
Fast Track Plastering Level 2 NVQ

Am I right or are there any other options open to me?

Thanks.

b*ll***s I only have the card with no quals and I hnt been refused any site. I've also been on site with lads flashing their gold cards and they ain't worth a wank . And I told them . Fckn tossers .

I did mate rocked up on a big school we was doin float and set. I could just c from how they was setting there sel up. 4 foot Darby ruling in 3inch short of the floor. The list goes on. N I was talking to him in a room he was plastering . Told me he'd been doin it 20yrs etc . N I just blurted it out saying surprised I've got away with it that long. He just replied wiv wat the fck u mean. I said your dog **** mate u wnt get away with that here. N e way they gt fcked off by the gaffer. Think he's on here Worcester spread or sumet like that. The gaffer not the spread

I rang them today to book a test. Just finished Level 2 Diploma but can only get operatives card (green) until I get my certificate then can apply for blue card so they say. Don't think I will bother though if I don't need to, will just keep the operatives card.

I rang them today to book a test. Just finished Level 2 Diploma but can only get operatives card (green) until I get my certificate then can apply for blue card so they say. Don't think I will bother though if I don't need to, will just keep the operatives card.

If you got your quals then get the proper card it shouldnt cost you anymore..
@wiganlad is right but they are getting more and more tight on this sh*t now, be stupid not to get the proper card

Last edited:
I did mate rocked up on a big school we was doin float and set. I could just c from how they was setting there sel up. 4 foot Darby ruling in 3inch short of the floor. The list goes on. N I was talking to him in a room he was plastering . Told me he'd been doin it 20yrs etc . N I just blurted it out saying surprised I've got away with it that long. He just replied wiv wat the fck u mean. I said your dog **** mate u wnt get away with that here. N e way they gt fcked off by the gaffer. Think he's on here Worcester spread or sumet like that. The gaffer not the spread

Haha you tell em wigan laaaa!!!

doesnt mean anything really quals when they are so easily obtained these days, I haven't got mine either bud, site op card always does me

3" short of the floor ahhh fck the joiners :RpS_thumbsup:

Hello,

I've done a quick search on here but threads talking about CSCS cards didn't really answer my question.

Basically I want to get a CSCS card but don't want to do any qualifications. I've looked at the CSCS website and emailed them stating my situation i.e. no qualifications except for a short course, site work and domestic work in the belief that I could get a card based on professional experience / being assessed.

They said this isn't possible and I'd need an NVQ. I have no desire to do an NVQ.

It looks like I should be able to apply for and get the Red Experienced Worker card and then get the Blue Skilled Worker card (taken from the CSCS website: "If you do not have these qualifications, you may apply for a skilled card if you are experienced in your job").

Thanks.
How long have you been plastering?

If you got your quals then get the proper card it shouldnt cost you anymore..
@wiganlad is right but they are getting more and more tight on this sh*t now, be stupid not to get the proper card

Yeah but certificate can take upto 6 weeks to come through. Been living off benefits since I got made redundant at the end of August, just finished level 2 diploma course and just wana work and not have to wait for the certificate to come through. Will look into updating it if its getting strict.

Yeah but certificate can take upto 6 weeks to come through. Been living off benefits since I got made redundant at the end of August, just finished level 2 diploma course and just wana work and not have to wait for the certificate to come through. Will look into updating it if its getting strict.

What were you doing before?

Shutters and doors for 4 years, plasterers and brickies labourer before that.

Please take my advice with a open mind from experience..

get some experience with a plasterer as an improver first before you go on site, offer your services on here as an improver @ a reasonable rate, don't think that just because you have quals that makes you a spread..

i would offer to do a free trial for a week for a spread to gauge where you are at then you can go from there if you have enough skills to make money not drain it then I don't see why they wouldn't take you on..

@ the end of the day you have been on the dole for ages what's another week??
I think you would have a much better shot at getting work if you were to approach it in this way..

good luck with it

That's the plan got my details I. The labourer section hoping to get something. Any jobs im applying for say about my limited experience, I want to learn as much as I can etc and I know it takes years and plenty of experience to become a good spread. Like alot of experienced plasterers say even they are still learning even after 10, 20 years experience.

I first got my CSCS card years ago. The first time they tried to launch the scheme but failed. I have a gold card and the only qualification it has on it is a Plastering Industry Accreditaton B. If I remember rightly I got it through "Grandfather rights" as I was never assessed by anyone ,but I dont think there is anyway of getting it that way now I'm sorry to say.

Ile send them a cheque with extra sharp edged paper n hopefully the feckers will cut their fingers off always after our money cscs ,c##k sucker and c##k sucker is the real company name

Hello,

Thanks.

So, you want the card but cant be arsed doing any studying ?? fuk me.. you;ll go far, lazy f**k*r..

I did an experienced worker assessment day which got me the blue cscs card did it at a training centre in Bradford (YTA). Had to cover all aspects of the trade. Long day!!!

I'm using The Plasterers Forum Mobile App

I did an experienced worker assessment day which got me the blue cscs card did it at a training centre in Bradford (YTA). Had to cover all aspects of the trade. Long day!!!

I'm using The Plasterers Forum Mobile App
i might do one of these soon,, how much did it cost you mate,, i have been plastering for 30 years but dont have any qualifications, i thought it was a 2 day course, cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.