crumbling floor screeds

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.

samely

Hi thier, iv had a problem with my screeds that the top never sets hard and will brush away and wilp form pits. I make my screeds 4 sharp sand to 1 opc mixed for as short as posable but mixed well and i try and get my gauging spot on . When i lay it i damping the sub sevice with watered dwn pva and compact the by jumping and tapping then float and dry trowle to finsh. I dont coer bec when i did it toke for ever to dry . People hav ssaid to me screed normaly break up on top is this true to. Thank 4 reading and for replys , sorry 4 the spelling .
Sam

hi, what i do to prevent the scuffing off of the top of floor screeds is to, apply a cement wash over the screed ,usually after a day or two when floor is dry enough to walk on, to do this i mix a shovelful of cement to gorilla tub\setting bucket and a healthy glug of pva, filled with clean water and stir as to not let the cement stick to the bottom of the bucket,after a few minutes of stirring you then pour mix over screeded floor and sweep over with a soft broom,this seals the screed nicely,try it

3&1 mate,slurry the concrete base first with cement and water with SBR if you like dont use PVA, after floating make sure you finish with steel trowel and keep of it for as long as you can, rule of thumb screeds dry 1mm of thickness per day, not always practicle.

Yea i try it out cheers. My old bose was terriable he would lay old carpit dwn and have people on it 2 days after and i would always end up havin to lay a laytex compound but hey people never want to wait

i was never taught to trowel over screed, just float it but it dont half help to stop it scuffing up... just gotta be a bit careful and keep it flat as...

I just h8 it bec companys alway giv me a monkey to mix up and evy mix is dif and il hav to keep sending thembk or end up doin it myself

you should trowel screed unless being tiled trowelling brings laitenence to the surface making it harder then mist with water next day to cure it

If the top is dusting it sounds like yiur mix is too wet to start with, unless its drying out too quick but that usually makes it curl at the edges. Mix should be 3:1 when hand mixing and try covering the screed with a DPM to cure it properly or has Grand says give it a mist spray for a day or 2 at least.

i was tought once the floor has dried out get a hose pipe out and sprinkle water over the set floor. apparantly it dries harder. i always mix up cement and water like a slurry mix and spread over the floor using a brush before laying the screed too.

I'd say it 's too dry a mix. Wet floor before you start with watered down sbr. Always done 4:1. Always close it in with a trowel.

Status
Not open for further replies.