Cream of tar tar

Nov1c3 5pr34d3r

Hello people just started plastering with the help of YouTube tutorials and having a lot of time on my hands due to the current situation, anyway was hoping you pro's may be able to give me a definitive answer on whether or not adding cream of tartar in your multi-finish works as a plaster retardent to give people more working time, and if so what measurements do I add per bag?

Cream of tar tar did use to work but the manufacturer changed a couple of additives to make the chemical reaction of the powder more powerful once water was added that's why theres only a medium window of opportunity of working with the multifinish or board finish before setting starts to occur cream of tar tar doesn't have that affect of slowing it down anymore your best using plain flour as it reacts to the hemihydrate in the skim slowing the process down a couple of handfuls of plain flour in the mix will give you an extra 35mins per 25kg bag

Cream of tar tar did use to work but the manufacturer changed a couple of additives to make the chemical reaction of the powder more powerful once water was added that's why theres only a medium window of opportunity of working with the multifinish or board finish before setting starts to occur cream of tar tar doesn't have that affect of slowing it down anymore your best using plain flour as it reacts to the hemihydrate in the skim slowing the process down a couple of handfuls of plain flour in the mix will give you an extra 35mins per 25kg bag
I thought you needed a spoon of yeast as well

Using added retarder is like still having stabilisers on your bike at age 12. You’ll never learn and have fake confidence

PISS never fails
1589702945013.jpeg

I have recently plastered all my sons walls, with a better outcome than expected , unfortunately the big wall was a chew on as the multi was going off quite fast I just managed to save it with the sponge float, of course now I've got the ceiling to do which is a bigger surface area and would assume a tougher challenge in general working horizontally as opposed to vertically, would love to slow down the setting process if only for 20-30 minutes to avoid a similar situation occurring on the ceiling.

I have recently plastered all my sons walls, with a better outcome than expected , unfortunately the big wall was a chew on as the multi was going off quite fast I just managed to save it with the sponge float, of course now I've got the ceiling to do which is a bigger surface area and would assume a tougher challenge in general working horizontally as opposed to vertically, would love to slow down the setting process if only for 20-30 minutes to avoid a similar situation occurring on the ceiling.
Buy some extra time not used it myself but supposed to be good.i used cream a tartar once on a red hot day the stuff went miles but didn't do anything to setting time so I was chasing my arse.

As @Mike Harrison just said get a couple of sachets of extra time retarder it will slow the setting time I've used it a couple of times on huge ceilings and it does work if your over skimming the ceiling depending on the substrate you will get about 30-40 mins of extra per bag

Hello people just started plastering with the help of YouTube tutorials and having a lot of time on my hands due to the current situation, anyway was hoping you pro's may be able to give me a definitive answer on whether or not adding cream of tartar in your multi-finish works as a plaster retardent to give people more working time, and if so what measurements do I add per bag?

Put a sparkler in it

its called tri sodium citrate... f**k knows where you buy it from but it works a treat, we had some well out of date bags of some one coat shizzle from the bricomarche in france and it hung right back... teaspoon in a mix

Buy some extra time not used it myself but supposed to be good.i used cream a tartar once on a red hot day the stuff went miles but didn't do anything to setting time so I was chasing my arse.
I know Extratime works due to Pro's on YouTube doing tests but unfortunately because of the current situation I can't get a hold of it for love nor money, that's why I was hoping cream of tartar would do the job as I have some on hand, anyway as I'm starting the job tomorrow going to give the flour a try as suggested and I'll let you know the outcome,cheers.

its called tri sodium citrate... f**k knows where you buy it from but it works a treat, we had some well out of date bags of some one coat shizzle from the bricomarche in france and it hung right back... teaspoon in a mix
I use it all the time in workshop with casting plaster but only put a small amount in 25 ltr tub of mixing water about as much as you would put salt on a meal any more and it will kill set for a couple hours most firms that supply the catering industry keep it my last came from a firm called alpac in yorkshire

I use it all the time in workshop with casting plaster but only put a small amount in 25 ltr tub of mixing water about as much as you would put salt on a meal any more and it will kill set for a couple hours most firms that supply the catering industry keep it my last came from a firm called alpac in yorkshire
Might give it a go seems a cheaper option than extra time.ive also wanted to try extra time especially in the summer but me and mate do between 9-12 bags a day it would cost a fortune

Might give it a go seems a cheaper option than extra time.ive also wanted to try extra time especially in the summer but me and mate do between 9-12 bags a day it would cost a fortune
I swear by it but be very careful to the amount you put in its powerful stuff /when im running stuff out on the bench I put mixing water in a tub then add a pinch so all the mixes take up the same