CRAZING

Renderbender

Hi everyone. I’m looking for a bit of advice, I have some wet lines on render that I completed on Monday. The lines were only visible as of today.

I had originally specked the job for a stipple coat then Weber tuc followed by Weber pral m. The customer didn’t want this and was pushing for s&c base coat and then an ocr top coat. I went with it because to be honest I needed the work.

the base coat was mixed at 3-1 with a splash of sbr and 300ml of waterproofer. To me it looks as if these marks would be fine once painted but my main concern is why and how this has happend. Any advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 83AEA8D1-FCD8-4533-9FFC-D665350093B6.png
    83AEA8D1-FCD8-4533-9FFC-D665350093B6.png
    4.1 MB · Views: 135

Cockney1

Hi everyone. I’m looking for a bit of advice, I have some wet lines on render that I completed on Monday. The lines were only visible as of today.

I had originally specked the job for a stipple coat then Weber tuc followed by Weber pral m. The customer didn’t want this and was pushing for s&c base coat and then an ocr top coat. I went with it because to be honest I needed the work.

the base coat was mixed at 3-1 with a splash of sbr and 300ml of waterproofer. To me it looks as if these marks would be fine once painted but my main concern is why and how this has happend. Any advice would be appreciated.
@Casper

Renderbender

Very strong scratch coat that buddy maybe too much cement and you should never let a customer dictate how you do things
It needed to be strong to adhere to the background. Yeah I know mate all a learning curve won’t let it happen again, first big job self employed. And it had been agreed it would be done using Weber system but when I arrived there was nothing but sand and cement for me.

Cockney1

What sand did you use?

Mix was also too strong.

That’s all your getting for free bender boy!

Elite exteriors

It needed to be strong to adhere to the background. Yeah I know mate all a learning curve won’t let it happen again, first big job self employed. And it had been agreed it would be done using Weber system but when I arrived there was nothing but sand and cement for me.
3 soft 1 sharp 1 cement scratch
4 soft 1 sharp 1 cement top
I usually put waterproofer in both coats but saying that haven't used sand and cement for around 15 years it's obsolete
If you have ever got a suspect surface use weber rend-aid it's the dogs swingers there's also products you can paint on that are fairly cheep that do the trick too
My advice is make sure you're doing what you know how to do or get some advice before starting

Monkey Boy

When the water evaporates the space between the remaining elements is less and they pull together
7F8693DF-8DD6-4F01-8E00-FF15992ACF13.jpeg

Condition of materials, wetness off mix, background, humidity (lack of) sun and wind all play a part also after care of misting & covering with hessian etc
Tool material, size of float, pressure applied
So many variables to master
Respect to all decent renderers

Renderbender

3 soft 1 sharp 1 cement scratch
4 soft 1 sharp 1 cement top
I usually put waterproofer in both coats but saying that haven't used sand and cement for around 15 years it's obsolete
If you have ever got a suspect surface use weber rend-aid it's the dogs swingers there's also products you can paint on that are fairly cheep that do the trick too
My advice is make sure you're doing what you know how to do or get some advice before starting
I’m well up to date with modern render systems mate. I served my time with a spray render squad and then moved to a bigger company for 3 years rendering all year round. My issue has come from the client being a cheap skate and not using the speck I had created. That and the fact that I’ve never really worked with sand and cement.

Renderbender

When the water evaporates the space between the remaining elements is less and they pull together
View attachment 63242
Condition of materials, wetness off mix, background, humidity (lack of) sun and wind all play a part also after care of misting & covering with hessian etc
Tool material, size of float, pressure applied
So many variables to master
Respect to all decent renderers
Sensible answer mate I appreciate that. You’ve helped my way of thinking there.

Stewie03

I’m well up to date with modern render systems mate. I served my time with a spray render squad and then moved to a bigger company for 3 years rendering all year round. My issue has come from the client being a cheap skate and not using the speck I had created. That and the fact that I’ve never really worked with sand and cement.
All due respect mate if you've never really worked with sand and cement you should've just walked off the job if you quoted him for a completely different spec like weber as you are saying,and the customer buys complete different materials you don't have.much experience with the job isn't worth the aggro or your reputation

Ritch

All due respect mate if you've never really worked with sand and cement you should've just walked off the job if you quoted him for a completely different spec like weber as you are saying,and the customer buys complete different materials you don't have.much experience with the job isn't worth the aggro or your reputation
He defo doesn’t know s&c his scratch coat was 3-1 lol

theclemo

Private Member

Surface tension cracking
It could be a culmination of damp background with sun or wind on the surface. The front couple of mm would of gone hard before the the back 10/12mm
When the background dries it puts pressure on the front couple of mm. If u only see it when it gets wet a sealer will sort it out or paint

Renderbender

Cement is really really keen buddy a weaker mix wouldn't have drawn the top coat so much I get you've been about but here you are if I'm never sure of anything I'll ask the old boys especially when it comes to sand
Stick to thin coat bud cause u ain’t got a scooby about s&c, your mix is nearly as strong as imprinted render/stone effect carving etc LOL
Aye no bother pal enjoy your skimming

FreeD

Private Member

Looks like shrinkage cracking to me...should be fine if you get a good quality masonry paint over it a few coats.

3-1 too strong...we have always gone 4-1 then 4-1-1...rendagrip for your key.

Renderbender

Thick as shite the people coming on here lately, soo much rough work and dumb questions, trades going to the dung heap
I’m thick as s**t then mate gets grip of your self pal everyone makes mistakes. I can’t imagine you’re too good with the likes of scratch render or textures ? O wait I bet you’re amazing at everything.

Ritch

I’m thick as s**t then mate gets grip of your self pal everyone makes mistakes. I can’t imagine you’re too good with the likes of scratch render or textures ? O wait I bet you’re amazing at everything.
Calm down bender your mincing my words I said a lot of dumb q’s being constantly asked on here, I’m fully trained in all aspects thanks, don’t claim to be amazing that’s @Casper,

Renderbender

Calm down bender your mincing my words I said a lot of dumb q’s being constantly asked on here, I’m fully trained in all aspects thanks, don’t claim to be amazing that’s @Casper,
My question wasn’t really dumb tho pal I was asking it because I didn’t know the answer