Crazed s&c render

Members online

thee_catfish

Hi peeps
Just rendered an extension and it has all crazed as it dried. None seems to have blown, just hairline cracks. What would be the best way to sort it without hacking it off. Client is going to paint it himself but I need to sort it first. Tia

Hi peeps
Just rendered an extension and it has all crazed as it dried. None seems to have blown, just hairline cracks. What would be the best way to sort it without hacking it off. Client is going to paint it himself but I need to sort it first. Tia
Everyone is in the pub , enjoy the banter , by about ,11/12 they should all be ready to advise , some of them a bit earlier as they started their shift about 10 this morning, in the mean time give us more details , assume its on 7 N blocks and was laid by a quality brickie , what mixes and procedure , just to confirm its OK long term , don't know about this situation because I put lime in my mix , had to get that in there for the amusement of others , only just getting started with my shift , so you might hear from me later lol

Everyone is in the pub , enjoy the banter , by about ,11/12 they should all be ready to advise , some of them a bit earlier as they started their shift about 10 this morning, in the mean time give us more details , assume its on 7 N blocks and was laid by a quality brickie , what mixes and procedure , just to confirm its OK long term , don't know about this situation because I put lime in my mix , had to get that in there for the amusement of others , only just getting started with my shift , so you might hear from me later lol
@Danny any advice mate? Xx

Take it off dot n dab it skim it then put a lovely water feature close by to draw the attention away from it (y)

Lot of people don't float up enough, as that's really packing it tight to the wall before sponging?

I would offer to paint it for them. put plenty on . Gonna be cheaper than hacking it off .if it's only hairline cracks it should cover it.

Hi peeps
How the f**k can anyone comment or advise from this post ???
What substrate
What method
What material
What mix
What conditions

How the f**k can anyone comment or advise from this post ???
What substrate
What method
What material
What mix
What conditions
Agree were just pissing in the wind, but if we ask the questions we might narrow it down to the problem, but seen though he's not answering who knows, Idea of the forum really do you not agree?all problems can be solved...have a answer if it's narrowed down to a reason.

Agree were just pissing in the wind, but if we ask the questions we might narrow it down to the problem, but seen though he's not answering who knows, Idea of the forum really do you not agree?all problems can be solved...have a answer if it's narrowed down to a reason.
That’s my point ? No info so can’t comment !

Attention attention ,attention

this post was constructed by the administrators of the tpf

I am very pleased to inform most of you have scored high enough to pass level 3 of the " new member post test "
with sufficient scores on humour , technical b.llsh.t , friendly welcoming .although you are reminded to use suitable pictorial aids in the future
However @beader you are asked to go away and drink one more pint and a double g&t before you take a resit

Signed ...The P..head Factory

Attention attention ,attention

this post was constructed by the administrators of the tpf

I am very pleased to inform most of you have scored high enough to pass level 3 of the " new member post test "
with sufficient scores on humour , technical b.llsh.t , friendly welcoming .although you are reminded to use suitable pictorial aids in the future
However @beader you are asked to go away and drink one more pint and a double g&t before you take a resit

Signed ...The P..head Factory
I made my assessment from the information and technical specifications provided.Oh and the large GnT 's consumed whilst browsing T.p.f.

I made my assessment from the information and technical specifications provided.Oh and the large GnT 's consumed whilst browsing T.p.f.
I have forwarded your comments on your behalf to the examination board and can inform you that you have been awarded a pass , your comments have been duly noted and look forward to your progress on level 4

I have forwarded your comments on your behalf to the examination board and can inform you that you have been awarded a pass , your comments have been duly noted and look forward to your progress on level 4
Do you get bonus points if you can answer the how long is a piece of string question.

Do you get bonus points if you can answer the how long is a piece of string question.
That's level 2 , have you forgotten , clearly a case of over g&t revision , I'll recap for clarity
Level1
Getting excited at the acquisition of a new trowel
Learning to mix plaster or render incorrectly
Coping with the prospect of tackling a whole wall on your own with the aid of YouTube
Advertising your services via Facebook
Planning for your retirement
Level 2
Buying an advanced technology trowel that puts more on in less time and produces an acceptable finish
How to choose a convenient method of beading
Choosing a suitable render or background mix that you will use for all substrate types
Getting the prep right, kettle , bog location , nearest chippy and off licence
How to DND and float with the traditional method of plumb line of a shoe lace and your van keys
Improving your customer service with a list of well prepared short get out phrases and excuses including sub sections on not answering your phone and to quote according to location and the year and make of their car
Joining a forum and discover how to approach the knicker draw situation

I trust you are familiar with level 3 as you have now passed the examination test and we already spent the fees so I am confident
IT'LL SETTLE

Firstly I've been a crap plasterer for 25+ years and rendered more walls than you've brought round in the pub. Think the crazing was a combination of warm breeze and crap wickes sand (brought by client). It crazed by next day so not movement or s**t brickwork. Nothings blown or lifted just fine hairline cracks. Just need to know best way to lose the cracks before its painted

The reason is he’s incompetent and shouldn’t be rendering
Harsh word , it's accurate but I've plasterering for 40 y off and on and there's one thing I've learnt , apart from theirs easier ways to make a living , and that's

I ain't got a clue what I'm doing

Firstly I've been a crap plasterer for 25+ years and rendered more walls than you've brought round in the pub. Think the crazing was a combination of warm breeze and crap wickes sand (brought by client). It crazed by next day so not movement or s**t brickwork. Nothings blown or lifted just fine hairline cracks. Just need to know best way to lose the cracks before its painted
You didn’t say it crazed next day in ur first post
It means your just s**t then

Don't take offense , you hadn't replied and people get carried away with the banter ,

So you want just the solution , there's my problem , I just can't help it but its on overload and here it comes so please forgive my apparent rudeness its certainly not meant to be cocky or arrogant

1 I use some lime instead of Feb , to be short I won't bother with explaining
2 I use sharp sand , may add some soft for top coat depending on the grit
3 as you have rightly pointed out your so called normal render mix ( guessing , as you didn't answer my original post ) is good to get the job done with no problems so I'm not doubting your ability to plaster , in my fathers day if you were caught putting soft sand into the mix to ease floating you were off site
3 your get out clause would only be clay or dirty sand , unlikely from wickes
4 I've forgotten what the question was
5 oh yes ,, how to repair ,,, here we go
6 I would not repair I would stabilize ( with what I confess I have no knowledge ) and would Tyrolean , the proper way ( I won't bore you )

Hope I haven't p.as.d u off , if I work for another 40 y I still will be caught out at some point

I use wickes sand all the time and never had a problem . If it has crazed the next day i would say you have had high suction on the scratch coat or it has been exposed to strong sunlight or wind dried and as we all know that that if the setting time is not controlled and it drys to quick it may crack which it has . Did the top coat skin over before you rubbed it up ? At this point in the job i would say that your best bet it to get a paint that will cover the crazing . Ask at your local paint suppliers .

Last edited:

There are lots of ways it can craze. In my experience it has been down too soft a sand, too rich a mix, not had a curing time between coats, steel trowel smooth finish lightly sponged if at all.

I have had it once to my knowledge with sand and cement and it was smooth troweled after sponging. It looked great until he put his first coat of watered down masonry paint on it. Crazes all over. He put two more coats of neat paint on and the crazes have not been seen since.

I had the same on Jub graphite ocr. It was sponged up and looked naff so we steel troweled to smooth out the sponge scouring. Fine crazes all over. But once primed it was fine.

Last edited: