crappy rendering sand

Members online

jacko001

Hello to all .ive always bought my plastering sand from a certain builders merchants very good stuff
A nice yellow sand .
Been working over the wk end to get the rendering done..not so as I progressed top coating fxxxxing dragging sagging everything you could think of. I rang the certain builders merchant told them to pick this s**t up I cannot render with this its like soft sand .He said yes we have changed it but .we are having complaints about it (marvellous.) my mix has always been 4 to 1 and a little lime.
Any body had the same bother I would like to know .cheers lads.

I've had this before. Did an extension and had to scrape the whole lot off. Sagging, sand coming to the surface, dragging etc.

Turns out the sand as well as the cement was garbage.
Soon as I returned to the builders merchants I usually use the problem disappeared.

Sand varies throughout the country. I had something similar to what your describing and was awful to rub up. I prefer a sharp sand and always use the same merchants for it, Berrys.

Soft sand is a no go area!!
Used to use washed waddington fell when in north west

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like silver sand with lime, also 50 50 yellow not bad either. Always found jewsons sand to be dog s**t.

Sand is always different. 2 merchants 4 miles apart from me have totally different plastering sand. 1 is better than the other. 1 red 1 yellow. The colour means nothing. I've had crap red and yellow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheers lads.not on my own then...its a first for me to .
Could me worse I had my brother knocking up for me years ago and the bellend forgot to put cement in the mix and stood there saying he did I had scrape the lot off . It was a white cement job ..

I was working on a job and the site manager was one of these university graduates, I asked for a dumpy bag of sand to be delivered and he ordered me a bag of aggregate! o_O

Hello to all .ive always bought my plastering sand from a certain builders merchants very good stuff
A nice yellow sand .
Been working over the wk end to get the rendering done..not so as I progressed top coating fxxxxing dragging sagging everything you could think of. I rang the certain builders merchant told them to pick this s**t up I cannot render with this its like soft sand .He said yes we have changed it but .we are having complaints about it (marvellous.) my mix has always been 4 to 1 and a little lime.
Any body had the same bother I would like to know .cheers lads.
Yes mate, has a few issues with sand lately, I’ve asked them at tp what quarry they getting it from,clueless.
Pissed me off as it made my work look bad in the sun

They don’t have a clue tp about the grade of sand etc. Annoying as it made a recent job look bad I had to re-do.
Makes me laugh on here all these lads asking about 10mm or 15mm beads for scratch render. Work clever lads mix up wet your mono and put on tight and bed your mesh in . Then start fresh and bead up by sticking your beads on then fill out just past your beads, rule off serrated and spatula over it . U should be laughing and that 10mm beads. Make sure u give the substrate a light mist with the hose

They don’t have a clue tp about the grade of sand etc. Annoying as it made a recent job look bad I had to re-do.
Makes me laugh on here all these lads asking about 10mm or 15mm beads for scratch render. Work clever lads mix up wet your mono and put on tight and bed your mesh in . Then start fresh and bead up by sticking your beads on then fill out just past your beads, rule off serrated and spatula over it . U should be laughing and that 10mm beads. Make sure u give the substrate a light mist with the hose

Erm ok thanks

Stopped mixing my own nine years ago...just use bagged material now
More expensive but Consistent(and its pigmented)

I'm having a serious problem with sand atm. I was in a position where I had to use building sand and it is terrible quality there is some sort of particles in there. Showing up allover my finish coat . Almost like iron particles I have no idea what they are but looks like they are starting to go rusty. And to top it of 2 walls have went boss with the odd cracks. I'm spewing. Looks like the the chisel is coming out to play ‍♂️