Cracks in render ?

Members online

I'm just giving you a poke mate ;)

You concern yourself with cracks any time you like. Day or night. Fill your boots.
Ok cheers but not concerned was just trying to get a thread going ! Thought that was the idea of this forum ? And only one guy answered the question really

I worked on the same basic eight designs of house for fifteen years. Now unusually in this day and age the builder didn't rush things along and the blockwork had often bee stood for twelve months or more before I rendered/plastered them. It didn't take too long to get to know exactly where cracks would appear on certain house types. Initially I would paper and EML over the cracks and later on started to use fibreglass mesh embedded in the scratchcoat. The cracks never came back through using paper/EML but did on a couple using the fibreglass mesh. Obviously I dropped the fibreglass mesh and carried on using paper/EML.
So the cracks were a substrate issue mate ?

Tbf this is a good thread topic lox ,
Around here a lot of late 1800s to 1920 / 30s housing stock , dashes , mainly top halves of house
Some of the older ones pre 1900 are still in perfect condition to this day compared to any after
And there ain’t no mesh in any of them

What’s your take on this Lox?
My take is focusing on render application correct! If the substrate is going to fail /crack it makes no difference if the render is full mesh / no mesh / base coat / no base coat etc ! Mesh is thought of as a crack provension it’s not It will help reinforce weak areas and stress points but if substrate moves or fails cracks will appear ! Other procedures need applying to Provent issuse

Tbf this is a good thread topic lox ,
Around here a lot of late 1800s to 1920 / 30s housing stock , dashes , mainly top halves of house
Some of the older ones pre 1900 are still in perfect condition to this day compared to any after
And there ain’t no mesh in any of them
That’s right pal because substrate not moving