cracks in newly plaster&skimmed wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

imnotplasterer

as my name says, im not plaster so i got someone to do the job for me.
i took old plaster out all way back to brick walls. plasterer applied hardwall coat left it to set few hours before skimming. he used pva.
after few days cracks appearing only in places where wooden joists are located (above windows and doors).
before plastering we have installed metal mesh everywhere wood was found, so no plaster was applied direct on wood.

1. why these cracks appearing now ?

2. and are they only on skim coat or likely to be all way back to hardwall coat ?

3. any thought of best method to fix ?

Sounds like timber has shrunk/expanded due to all the moisture , leave till fully dried then fill the cracks , need to see it really but that's what it sounds like welcome to the forum

when you applied the EML did you make sure that not only was the wood covered but you had bridged the join between wood and brick by at least 100 mm.

i would have let the hardwall set more than a few hours before skimming!! i never skim the same day for the resons you are describing!!!

Iam guessing by the timber lintols that the house is of a certain age and probably built of lime morter if thats the case the cracks are quite normal even if you have meshed them, 90% of older houses are done like this you just have to live with it unless you want to go down the route of lime plaster which is a lot more expensive.

Why didn't he fix some plasterboard over the timber before floating,then simply skim it all in.scrimming of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.