Cracking in finish

Status
Not open for further replies.

dlacheson

Does anyone know why multi finish onto plasterboard sometimes cracks when dry?
I've seen some peoples work and there are long diagonal cracks, so they're not where the plasterboard joins are.

its prolly the board moving and not the muliti..
ive never had multi crack on board.. not like that anyway..

dunno its the only other reason i can think of other than the mix having something other than multi in it or someones stood a bloody great heater in front of it as its drying.. both obvious answers which is why i discounted em..
or if theres loads of little hairline cracks then it could be a forced air circulation heating system drying out the air but ive only ever seen that once, it wasnt on board and it takes months if not years to show up..
depends how the boards moving i suppose? if its well fixed at the edges and not in the middle and something gives in a studwall its possible??
why do you ask anyway? has it happened almost immediately or has it been on a while?

just an afterthought.. how sure are you that the boards wernt loads of little offcuts? could quite well be a join..
years ago all stud walls had this hoiking great diagonal accross em.. bit like a garden gate..

I'm asking cos a friend of mine has just had the whole interior of his house plastered. And as I'm training to become a plasterer at college myself, I just wondered why or how it could have happened. The plasterer was paid £200 per day to do it! Just a thought, could it be because it was laid on too thin?

were the boards dabbed? is it just fine cracks or will the skim come off in sheets?

Status
Not open for further replies.