cracking complaints

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mark1988

A customer whos room i skimmed about 8 weeks ago has just contacted me today saying he is jus getting round to painting now but has realised quote "there are a lot of hairline cracks appearing". It is an old tenement flat in Glasgow. I am annoyed it has taken him so long to contact me. I have not texted him back yet. Any advice as this seems quite a long time after to be complaining about a job.

cheers

was it overskim or new work? If it was overskim were there already cracks? what bonding agent did you use? was the substrate solid? if there were cracks did you scrim them? use fibres? did he have the heating on to dry it out? lots of questions need to be answered before advice can be given

Best bet just go round and have a look like @johniosaif suggests. If it was me I'd be annoyed to think my work wasn't right and want to see it for myself??

Last edited by a moderator:
was it overskim or new work? If it was overskim were there already cracks? what bonding agent did you use? was the substrate solid? if there were cracks did you scrim them? use fibres? did he have the heating on to dry it out? lots of questions need to be answered before advice can be given
New central heating would make a difference, new stud work, list goes on and on..

Yeah it was a skim over old plaster. All cracks taped and sealed with no-nonsence pva. I am going to look at it 2moro. Is it possible that it lying unpainted for so long might have caused cracks

A customer whos room i skimmed about 8 weeks ago has just contacted me today saying he is jus getting round to painting now but has realised quote "there are a lot of hairline cracks appearing". It is an old tenement flat in Glasgow. I am annoyed it has taken him so long to contact me. I have not texted him back yet. Any advice as this seems quite a long time after to be complaining about a job.

cheers

It's a re-skim, and it can crack, at end of day your only skimming over someone else's work.

I've had a few problem skimming ex council houses, even tho I taped the cracks where the boards were joined, it's still cracked again after I skimmed. That's because I'm only skimming over crappy council work, I always recommend re boarding but people only wanna pay for re-skims.

Unless you can sort the substrate out and either remove it and repair or refix the board I always use paper tape now to cover the cracks and then still write it down that any cracks are down to the background and not the skimming. Always cover my butt as well when it comes to reskims and people thinking that it will make the wall plumb etc.

Yeah it was a skim over old plaster. All cracks taped and sealed with no-nonsence pva. I am going to look at it 2moro. Is it possible that it lying unpainted for so long might have caused cracks

no. it appears the skim hasnt bonded properly, he put the heating on too high or there are structural problems out of your control. end of the day as john said youre over skimming old shitty walls. imo over skimming is 1 up from papering over the cracks in most cases

We always screw up all the joints because it was probably nailed then pva and scrim all the joints takes a bit longer but good practice good luck fella

had this once before in glasgow tenement also. re skimmed livingroom and was fine. until the painter painted it then hairline cracks appeared this was like a month down the line. so went back scrimmed and skimmed again. no explanation as to why it cracked except the plumber putting brackets on wall and a rad but the customer was adamant that the heating was off and this wasn't the cause.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I think i am just going to with jessops advice and tell him I'm dead lol nah will go and have a look and see what's going on will prob need to reskim.

Are these cracks inline with plasterboard joints? If so this could be thermal. Open cracks when cold then closing up when warm. Only paper tape and ready mixed (Ames) jointing cement has ever cured this for me.

Show me any plasterer who hasnt had cracks on reskims ! As long its a good job tell him to do one !ive used thistle bond it and it cracked !I dont care anymore as youll be no better thought of if you reskim!

Job I'm doing the customer said "shall I water the paint down once it's dry coz she didn't last time and it cracked the plaster" you could try that one coz she believed it lol

cheers

just get a new mobile number, mate. or you can get a free app that blocks whatever numbers you specify. i've got it and it works great.

So an update on my cracking nightmare lol. After a hard days work i travelled all the way over to look at the job. Upon entering the room i was suprised to see perfect walls and ceiling that had been painted. ONE SMALL HAIRLINE CRACK which had all ready been filled and sanded down. Relieved and annoyed at same time. Think the guy just wanted a chat!lol

So an update on my cracking nightmare lol. After a hard days work i travelled all the way over to look at the job. Upon entering the room i was suprised to see perfect walls and ceiling that had been painted. ONE SMALL HAIRLINE CRACK which had all ready been filled and sanded down. Relieved and annoyed at same time. Think the guy just wanted a chat!lol
But you went back mate , he will remember that, and talk about it, far more then the small crack all in a days work of dealing with customers :RpS_cursing:

Went past a plasterers van today and it said on his door every hole and crack filled to perfection!

Status
Not open for further replies.