Cracked walls help

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thiggins82

Hi every one, about to do my first job (small bedroom) the problem is I've striped the walls and there full of cracks due to movement. Am I best to scrim them then give the walls a coat of bonding, then finish of with 2 coats of multi-finish. Any help with be much appreciated.

also make sure to pva well,, or the walls will suck like hell and probably crack and craze again

I would deal with the bad cracks, maybe hack out and fit eml over the cracked area. The rest I would pva a couple of times and fit an embedded mesh in first skim coat.

the cracks in the corners i would hack off back to brick (block) work wide enough to cover the cracks with eml (go a couple of inches either side of the cracks then float , scrim all other cracks, pva well, the first coat at least a day before you skim and then skim as normal,as stuart23 said a handfull of fibres in the first coat may help

Not wanting to sound like a miserable ****, but why have a DIY section ?? they should PAY a plasterer for doing the job.. most of the questions asked show they have no clue and the jobs going to turn out shite anyway.. am I being a nob ?? I dont mind helping people with advice, but they shouldn;t be attempting things they have no chance of doing correctly...

He is joe 90's brother.and if the guy wants to have a go then let him,worst he can do is cock it up and get a plasterer in to sort it out.give a little brother.:)

Not wanting to sound like a miserable ****, but why have a DIY section ?? they should PAY a plasterer for doing the job.. most of the questions asked show they have no clue and the jobs going to turn out shite anyway.. am I being a nob ?? I dont mind helping people with advice, but they shouldn;t be attempting things they have no chance of doing correctly...

You don't have to help :RpS_thumbup:

you miserable **** :RpS_biggrin:

**** giving any ..... giving people the idea they can do it themselves takes work away from us.. and they will probably leave it and make do.. thats my view anyway, this happened with the 2 week wonders a few year back, they were going on jobs 9 probably also getting advice from here .lol ) and fukin jobs up, but the customers were just living with it... shagged the trade up here mate... proper plasterers were packing up and doing other jobs.... so I will give FA...lol..

**** giving any ..... giving people the idea they can do it themselves takes work away from us.. and they will probably leave it and make do.. thats my view anyway, this happened with the 2 week wonders a few year back, they were going on jobs 9 probably also getting advice from here .lol ) and fukin jobs up, but the customers were just living with it... shagged the trade up here mate... proper plasterers were packing up and doing other jobs.... so I will give FA...lol..

Fair point but there are genuine people who can't afford to pay for a plasterer who need advice so to have a go themselves or maybe readers too shy to ask but just look at the advice given.

Whose steve23?

I'm using The Plasterers Forum Mobile App

photo_zpsf57043d6.jpg

Erm........................:RpS_unsure:...............................................:huh:...............................Aye......................:RpS_thumbup:

To be fair I do all the electrics and plumbing on my own house and use forums for advice.

Can't afford to pay other trades as people keep doing their own plastering....:RpS_tongue:

make sure the walls are sound - cut out the crack removing all loose plaster, fill the crack with bonding, pva the wall,
apply scrim over the crack ( now filled in ) then skim with thistle board finish or multi finish

make sure the walls are sound - cut out the crack removing all loose plaster, fill the crack with bonding, pva the wall,
apply scrim over the crack ( now filled in ) then skim with thistle board finish or multi finish

All of the above but rescrew each side if the crack and use paper tape instead if scrim ,and it won't crack again

I'm using The Plasterers Forum Mobile App

Status
Not open for further replies.