Crack in wall

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

EmilyW

Hello. I'm hoping that you can answer a few questions related to plastering for me. I had a plasterer skim our bedroom last week and when the plaster dried there was a hairline crack half way down one wall. The rest of the room was fine and the quality really good. When I phoned him and he popped back to take a look he said that the crack was because my husband hadn't positioned the boards correctly when building the wall and that there was no wood down that section of the wall where the boards joined together and so it had cracked. I said that he should have noticed this when weighing up the job and asked if he would do the whole wall again and put some wood in so that it would not happen again but he refused and said he would fill it with filler and said to sand it down when it dried. To be honest it looks a right mess.

Do you think
1. He should have noticed that there was no wood behind the wall when he came to look at the job?

2. That I am within my rights to ask him to do that wall again?

My husband says it will be fine but I feel I have not got the job I paid him for. I won't name him but I just wanted to see if it was fair what he has done?

He hasnt done the boarding. Not his problem im afraid. Yes he could have either told you or just fixed it himself but without jumping to conclusions it sounds like you did the prep work yourselves to save money on paying a skilled tradesman so he can just come in and skim. And that's exactly what hes done.

Sooooo you did the board work presumabley to save money incorrectly which inturn caused movement thus caused a crack....

I'm sorry but at what point I'd this the plasterers fault.....absolute liberty!!!

If you'd have installed pipework for a bathroom and then phoned a plumber to fit some new taps if your pipework caused a leak would you blame the plumber???

If boardwork done by a customer or other trades I always have a quick whizz over it to avoid dispute later on, less hassle but I guess we all do things differently

I never ever guarantee against cracks when I am skimming any one else's boarding and I always tell them that before I start. He has told you the problem you can't possibly ask him to do what your husband didn't do. The sad thing about this thread I doubt you will ever come back and say thanks for the advise, you will blame everyone apart from your husband.

Hello. I'm hoping that you can answer a few questions related to plastering for me. I had a plasterer skim our bedroom last week and when the plaster dried there was a hairline crack half way down one wall. The rest of the room was fine and the quality really good. When I phoned him and he popped back to take a look he said that the crack was because my husband hadn't positioned the boards correctly when building the wall and that there was no wood down that section of the wall where the boards joined together and so it had cracked. I said that he should have noticed this when weighing up the job and asked if he would do the whole wall again and put some wood in so that it would not happen again but he refused and said he would fill it with filler and said to sand it down when it dried. To be honest it looks a right mess.

Do you think
1. He should have noticed that there was no wood behind the wall when he came to look at the job?

2. That I am within my rights to ask him to do that wall again?

My husband says it will be fine but I feel I have not got the job I paid him for. I won't name him but I just wanted to see if it was fair what he has done?
Take it out on the husband,it's his fault.No hanky panky for him for a while I'd say.

please don,t tell me your husband put the electric cables behind the plasterboard when he had a go at rewiring your house,because if you can,t get to them because your husband put a nail through one of the wires,whos fault would that be,same as if there was a water leak,the buck stops with your tight fisted hubby

Please can you post up a picture of your crack.....i think we would be able to judge better.

You sound like an absolute nightmare Emily. Have you got one of these wanky jobs where you bully people all day that are slightly less thick than you are but you get a massive power trip off it? You and your husband tried doing it on the cheap and now you must pay the price, not the person who came in and did , in your own words, a really good job. Spend a bit more money and paper over it

Status
Not open for further replies.