coving

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

windy

Private Member
Just spent an hour today trying to cut coving. Not really done much in the past and stayed away from it ever since.

Cud i shite work out all the angles :RpS_cursing:

i was using magic mitre

Wat Do you lads use?

Can u use a chop saw or is it too rough?

Piece of piss really mate. Get yourself a wondermitre thing, triangular shape bit of metal. You only can cut 2 ways. Internal or external. Then scribe with a stanley if needs be!! Its all trial and error at first but ut will come to you quickly! Buy a length of cove and a mitre and practice at home lol

Same as Casper.
Been using this for the last 12 years the metal ones keep the shape.

photo-2097.jpg

photo-1928.jpg

Nice demo Nisus!! Thing to watch out for with those metal mitres is coming down off a ladder or scaffold and stepping on it!!! I did that a few years ago and nearly ended up through a window, 4 floors up and i sprained my ankle lol

Used a magic mitre for the last 10 years windy with no problems. Like most things it all comes down to practice mate.

Windy use a magic mitre live everyones sais but while you're still learning mark the small edge at the bottom of the coving with 2 lines. One where you need to cut and another next to it in the angle you need to cut so it'll look like I/ if you don't understand ill take a pic next time I'm doing some

Right lads got me head round the cuts and angles after using two pieces of coving :huh:

Fittin that lightweight regency coving rather than the plaster stuff. Was using my woodsaw and it was like nightmare on elm St with rouch angles. It looks good but is like polystyrene

What type of saw would you use for

A Normal plaster coving
B Lightweight polystyrene type?

Right lads got me head round the cuts and angles after using two pieces of coving :huh:

Fittin that lightweight regency coving rather than the plaster stuff. Was using my woodsaw and it was like nightmare on elm St with rouch angles. It looks good but is like polystyrene

A Normal plaster coving

Your best bet windy is a fine tooth saw for plaster coving. polystyrene coving ive never used but i imagine a stanley knife will do.

A Normal plaster coving

A. as dustydave says
B. Plumbers blow-torch

the thing with polystyrene coving is - its crap.... doesnt cut....

so, they sell these ready made angles...

still crap though, never seen the point really, ordinary plaster cove is cheaper too, stays up without pins, so whats the point?

thanks lads

will go down the plaster route.

Mate who is a tiler says tile adhesive will hold plaster coving is this right as he get get loads for me- save mixing up

yeh probably, provided its the cheap readymix stuff in a bucket..

artex works a treat, real long open time too...

so does board adhesive, gotta be quick though...

I use wickes board adhesive as its white... sticks like s**t to a blanket... cove adhesive is overpriced in my opinion

Out of everything I have ever tried, the best thing i've used is Knauf cove adhesive.:RpS_thumbsup: Stays workable for 2hrs unlike gyproc 40mins.
Meaning you can bang more up instead of keep having to mix up another batch every 40 mins.

yeh thats the only prob with board addy innit... cut em all, quick mix up and get a wiggle on...

is the knauf stuff the one wickes are stocking? dont mind that too much, little pricey for the size of the bag but you only ever use a piddling little bit and it looks good to the punters that your using 'cove adhesive, for sticking COVING up' sort of thing..
I think magnets stuff is all lafarge...

Not sure chris I get it from a local builders yard.
Have used the knauf dab addy aswell that's ok.

Chris: yeah the one coat is knauf & the WBA is knauf not sure about the other stuff though.

Bubbles: It does work out cheaper that way.

when measuring coving lets say you have a chinney breast section of 200cm and side reveals of 40cm do you cut lengths to same size or do you cut under/under those measurements? Also do you measure from top pf coving or the bottom??

Status
Not open for further replies.