coving price per metre

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

user_removed

gaffer rung me today said he had full house to cove stantard stuff no fancy $hit.

how much per metre, some 1 said the goin rate was between £9-£11.
all gear supplied.
asap lads
cheers

mac

If it is local to you and you can actually cove, then £3.25 a metre supplied and fixed is a fair price for 100mm or 127mm. Material will cost you appx £1.25, which gives you £2 to fix it. If the house is empty, then 100+metres a day is easy. There are people out there charging £2.50, I was 5 yrs ago! If you can't cove, then £9-£11 it is then.

feck me on an average of a tenner a metre thats 30 quid a length, which takes about o 2 minutes or so? lets say 5 minutes to be generous...so thats errrm... 30x(60/5) = 360 .... pounds.... an hour....
or lets say 10 minutes a length, at an average of 5 lengths per room is 150 quid a room... which takes 50 minutes... (have 10 free minutes to do a little dance and on to the next room)...
i was supply and fix 1 room only last year, go get the stuff, turn up, pva the edge, mix up, throw up, clean up and bugger off... bout 3 hours including havin me breakfast at mcdonalds on the way there.. 100 quid... and i felt guilty..

used to charge a tenner a mtr for fibrous and but it's like tony says only £3 to £4 max for gyp cov supply an fix

Most i've ever charged is £4 a metre, and that was because I didn't like the bloke. These prices are for new work on full houses by the way. If I was doing a job for Mr & Mrs Joe Public, where I had to sheet up, move stuff, key the wall and ceiling lines etc, then yes it could be up to £100 a room.

warriorupnorth said:
used to charge a tenner a mtr for fibrous and but it's like tony says only £3 to £4 max for gyp cov supply an fix
I'd want a tenner a metre minimum for fibrous, and so much a joint if it was really ornate. Labour only that is.

TonyM said:
warriorupnorth said:
I'd want a tenner a metre minimum for fibrous, and so much a joint if it was really ornate. Labour only that is.
Yes i was qouting a tenner a mtr labour only on fibrous and made good money (but then i used to run it in by hand as well, so quite quick) and virtualy all coving i did was domestic , moving furniture ,covering up with dust sheets etc pain in the arse but again good money, and that bit off customer service goes a long way with jo public, something i don't think the younger generation understand
Thats why these site spreads don't like domestic work they are not used to working with the public and are unable to cope with their demands.

"If you can't cove, then £9-£11 it is then."
no problem coving mate just asking for a metre price, its not local its about 40-45 miles away. done a few coving jobs with my old gaffer never got in on the money side of things though. think he tried to get £150-£200 per room but thats a guess, take us half a day per room.
sheeting up, gettin batons in, chalk line and score. then cut free hand. oldskool.
he swears by using wickes waterproof tile adhesive pin them up then go round filling with cove adhesive.
dont know if this is "the right way" to do things but it never let us down, so its the way i do it
anyway there's around 5 bedrooms, hallway and landing and im guessing its occupied . going to see the job on tuesday might just price per room.

dont think there's anything wrong with it, just my old gaffer use to love tile adhesive from wickes. seems good stuff only ever dropped once while he used it MIGHT work out cheaper to use and ........ and u get a free splash bucket when it gone.

meter rates only apply on site work, otherwise its your day rate plus materials end off.

Mac - If you use cove or dry wall adhesive, you can finish as you go. There's no going back and filling afterwards. Just put plenty on so it squeezes out and scrape off. I only ever pin coving if the wall or ceiling lines are a bit wonky. Dry wall adhesive is ok if you use Lafarge, as it is smooth like BG cove adhesive. Knauf & BG dry wall adhesive are a bit too gritty for my liking. Recently when i've had to put up cove on painted walls, I have suggested the client uses Betokontakt on the wall and ceiling lines , as opposed to scraping the paint back and getting flakes everywhere, which is fine if you are doing a whole house, but time restrictive for just one room.

gps said:
meter rates only apply on site work, otherwise its your day rate plus materials end off.

I've always managed to apply metre rates to domestic. I just adjust it accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.