Coving ideas

reeves1985

Been away from the site for a while now thought I'd pop back with a bit of a dilemma I've got.

Got a bathroom to cove in the morning straightforward enough the snag is the tiles.

Customers gone from a full tile job to just around the bath.

Trying to think of the best way to deal with the 10-12mm lip at the tiles.

Was thinking of maybe a small external but would have to use caulk/filler to form the return.

Any other ideas I'm missing?

I can't bond out or use a slither of board as would look a bit silly with the rest

Ideas welcome

Tricky one. If already tiled, then I'd probably cove as normal then step/mitre it out where it meets tiles. Done neatly, prob make a nice feature.
Most people are fitting porcelain now so step out is probably 10-15mm which is a lot to pack out from wall. You're only going to have to deal with 2 x700mm bits if its a,standard bath. Other option, if metros etc, is to multitool thickness off coving, but not much to play with any way!

Thinking about it and the thickness of tile, it would look s**t even if coved first. Step out and continue or return and finish at tiles.

At 10-12mm lip as stated by OP, it would look OK with cove.
Just need to point out to client that the change of plan has screwed things up and the top hundred and whatever mm of the tiles need grinding/chipping off. Would they like the tiler to do it or pay the OP?

Or step out, or whatever. Any which way, you can't do it for the same price as a straight cove (unless you are a registered charity).

Cheers pal
Been so busy these past few months with one thing or another I'm only just beginnng to see which ways up!

Put my rates up and seemed to make it worse lol.
Not all work though I may add.

In regards the coving.
Yeah it' a good 12mm step. There's cash in the job so not too fussed about that.
It's more making it look right to be honest.

It's one of those rock and hard place moments because coves before would have looked worse to my mind anyway.

Best solution would have been to stop a tile short at the top.

There's only 1 to deal with as the other side is built out to accept the shower so is only minor.

I don't mind doing a small return just not sure if form without just banging it with filler!!

As promised here's how it ended up!

Ignore the residue on the tiles as it's still an on going full bathroom project.

20180501_124000.jpg

20180501_124032.jpg

20180501_124024.jpg

I’d suggest a strip of 9.5 mm pkasterboard, sir it just under the cove and stop in the underneath, yea it will be a big member but I think the least if the two evils , at least the cove will run straight!

I’d suggest a strip of 9.5 mm pkasterboard, sir it just under the cove and stop in the underneath, yea it will be a big member but I think the least if the two evils , at least the cove will run straight!
It's done mate
Posted pics a few posts up.

Actually looks quite good as well.

Handy the tiles came out further as the wall wasn't plumb so got it with a small external.

Looks better than a slither of board underneath

You think??:endesacuerdo:
Yeah as couldn't run 9.5 all way round so would have only been 1 run that would have looked pants.

Main thing is customers happy with it.
Whether we'd choose to do it like that if it was our own is another matter.

Plus because wall wasn't plumb I wouldn't have got it with a 12.5 either as tiler had to build out to plumb up

I think you made best of bad situation there so fair play!

Personally I would of told customer that it will look shite and nor to cove but sometimes you just have to give them what they want!

Good job. With large format porcelain, from a style point of view, probably looked better with out, been OK for something a bit more traditional. As long as customer is happy though :)

I think you made best of bad situation there so fair play!

Personally I would of told customer that it will look shite and nor to cove but sometimes you just have to give them what they want!
That's it mate.

Thing is I originally swayed them to remove it and just let me skim ceiling it's only a few strokes.

But in the end they opted against it.

Because it was the full bathroom job I couldn't really turn it away for the sake of a ceiling.

Decorator to go in yet and sort painting and edges where old paint come up with old coving.

Few ends to tie up.

Apart from the coving it wasn't a bad little job. Trying to move more across into the full fits and a bit more upmarket stuff to get away from the day race.

I'll let you all in on a secret as well!!

That's actually supercove I put up. Paper faced high density stuff. Actually quite rate it and easy as fook to put up

Good job. With large format porcelain, from a style point of view, probably looked better with out, been OK for something a bit more traditional. As long as customer is happy though :)
Yeah I agree but as above I swayed them initially but they decided against it in the end.
It had coving up before which was removed and just don't think they could see past what was already up even though as we all say it probably would have looked better without.

They just didn't seem to have that creative vision lol

The other thing with coving is if it's fitted well it can almost look good in any situation but fitted badly especially the corners can make the best job look horrific

The amount of jobs I've seen where there's 2 inch gaps just banged with adhesive or filler makes me cringe

Takes 5 minutes more on each joint to make it right

The other thing with coving is if it's fitted well it can almost look good in any situation but fitted badly especially the corners can make the best job look horrific

The amount of jobs I've seen where there's 2 inch gaps just banged with adhesive or filler makes me cringe

Takes 5 minutes more on each joint to make it right

I like coving as long as its the correct type for the property. Agree, badly done, looks s**t...same with most things though! :D

Yes cove done well looks okay but too many people silicone the top and bottom edge to fill it f**k**g up the neat square lines, ruins it just as much as crap joints

That's how I would do it. I always use bal white star tile adhesive one the bottom edge of cove where it meets the tiles. White star is a strong polymer adhesive and will stick like cit to blanket. Don't let it dry on anything as won't come off. Stops a crack forming along the bottom of cove where it meets tiles and you can buy in small tub. I always dab Pva or some sealer on cut joins to and blob adhesive in so it pushes out. Learnt that on coving corse run by artex back in 1995.. Nice work though. Done a nice job (y)

Last edited: