Cove 100

Members online

Point taken, but I still feel that modern house building is a fkn travesty. In 30yrs time, we'll be looking back in disbelief that an entire generation of first-time buyers were conned so blatantly, and that the big house builders were allowed to get away with it.
Can I ask what's your experience in this? Do you see it day in and out as I do as majority is done to the book you can't not now.i don't mean for your 1 off house builder but major house builders don't get away with much,agreed there's shoddy work but all major stuff is done correctly.apart from persimmon homes there gash

Can I ask what's your experience in this? Do you see it day in and out as I do as majority is done to the book you can't not now.i don't mean for your 1 off house builder but major house builders don't get away with much,agreed there's shoddy work but all major stuff is done correctly.apart from persimmon homes there gash

I don't work on sites and I tip my hat to you if you are dealing with it on a daily basis, but I have a pet peeve with shite building methods like metal stud walls, for example. Try to install a curtain rail, TV mount, or (god forbid) kitchen wall units and there's nothing there to reliably fix to. Yes, I know how to find a stud and I know the special fixings on the market, but the point is that there's no proper 'substance' to those walls - they're 95% thin air.

Just to be clear - my criticism of modern housing has nothing to do with spreads, and, to a large extent, not much to do with other trades employed by the big building firms - the trades are grafting hard, for an honest days wage. It's more to do with what I perceive to be an overall 'build it fast and cheap' attitude, of the big building firms, that annoys me. I feel many first-time buyers are being shortchanged because if you entered into a mortgage on an Edwardian house (for example), you'd be investing in something which, although not perfectly built, would have a good chance of outlasting your own lifetime and probably another 100 years on top of that. It was built relatively solidly from brick and stone, etc. These days, naive couples are buying new builds which will probably lose value within 30 years and might struggle to last for the lifetime of the buyer. In other words, the buyer stands to lose and the builders are profiting from throwing up cheap hollow boxes.

Maybe I'm misreading what I see, but I know I'm not alone in disliking modern (ordinary) housing.

if you can educate me otherwise, then I'm all ears (y)

Last edited:
I don't work on sites and I tip my hat to you if you are dealing with it on a daily basis, but I have a pet hate with shite building methods like metal stud walls, for example. Try to install a curtain rail, TV mount, or (god forbid) kitchen wall units and there's nothing there to reliably fix to. Yes, I know how to find a stud and I know the special fixings on the market, but the point is that there's no proper 'substance' to those walls - they're 95% thin air.

Just to be clear - my criticism of modern housing has nothing to do with spreads, and, to a large extent, not much to do with other trades employed by the big building firms - the trades are grafting hard, for an honest days wage. It's more to do with what I perceive to be an overall 'build it fast and cheap' attitude, of the big building firms, that annoys me. I feel many first-time buyers are being shortchanged because if you entered into a mortgage on an Edwardian house (for example), you'd be investing in something which, although not perfectly built, would have a good chance of outlasting your own lifetime and probably another 100 years on top of that. It was built relatively solidly from brick and stone, etc. These days, naive couples are buying new builds which will probably lose value within 30 years and might struggle to last for the lifetime of the buyer. In other words, the buyer stands to lose and the builders are profiting from throwing up cheap hollow boxes.

Maybe I'm misreading what I see, but I know I'm not alone in disliking modern (ordinary) housing.

if you can educate me otherwise, then I'm all ears.
Mate,anything longer than a paragraph I simply won't read ha.i got through ur 1st paragraph and if it's stud walls there's pattresses put in for things to hang on.please try get your points across in 1 paragraph is best advice I can give

Mate,anything longer than a paragraph I simply won't read ha.i got through ur 1st paragraph and if it's stud walls there's pattresses put in for things to hang on

Haha - well, it's up to you what you read.

Yes, a pattress can help, to some extent, but it's still b*ll***s for future changes to a house, 20 years down the line, that don't follow the original architect's plan. A proper brick (or block) wall can be drilled almost anywhere without having to ensure there's a pattress (fingers crossed!) present.

Anyway, as I said (in my 2nd paragraph! ;)), I'm not getting at trades with what I said. I think housebuilding methods need to be improved, but others will disagree with me, and that's fair enough. We all have different opinions.

Haha - well, it's up to you what you read.

Yes, a pattress can help, to some extent, but it's still b*ll***s for future changes to a house, 20 years down the line, that don't follow the original architect's plan. A proper brick (or block) wall can be drilled almost anywhere without having to ensure there's a pattress (fingers crossed!) present.

Anyway, as I said (in my 2nd paragraph! ;)), I'm not getting at trades with what I said. I think housebuilding methods need to be improved, but others will disagree with me, and that's fair enough. We all have different opinions.
Thing is you go in old houses,walls look like there been ruled with a bomerang

Point taken, but I still feel that modern house building is a fkn travesty. In 30yrs time, we'll be looking back in disbelief that an entire generation of first-time buyers were conned so blatantly, and that the big house builders were allowed to get away with it.
In thirty years time most of the"we" won't be alive, f**k I'll be 83.

Do not be so negative, you will not be 83.

You would be have been dead before you reach 80.
We all die it's not like you'll live forever, and that wig wearing pasta muncher will be dead before any of us.