Courses

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

chompercharlie

Hi there. Im a newbie here but not to plastering. Did one of those 3 day plastering courses about 3 years ago in Chester. It was a total rip off.
Most of the blokes on my course walked off after 2 days. I stuck it out but I managed to get my money back. They did teach us the absolute basics but alot of time was spent sitting around. And on 1 day the teacher just didnt turn up!
Most of what Ive learned in the last 3 years has been trial and error, and picking up tips along the way, as most plasterers Ive met are very generous at sharing their knowledge.
I've tended to steer clear of big jobs and managed to find myself a nice little earner chasing and plastering in cables for a firm of sparkies. Quite an art to get it just right to match the rest of the wall.
Especially as sparkies tend to bash half the wall away to fit a 2.5mm cable!
Luckily for me, I used to be a chef and I sussed out pretty quickly that as long as my mix of multi was about the consistency of choccy mousse, I wasnt far wrong!
Now I want to get into bigger jobs.
My question is, would it still be worth doing a proper college course to NVQ? I understand its a sure fire way to getting my CSCS cards for onsite but are there any other benifits or would I be better off doing what im doing and learn as I go on the job?
The course I'm looking at is part time for 22 weeks.
Any comments would be much appreciiated.
Cheers
Chomper

Hiya Chomper! I've been plastering about 6 years part time alongside my full time job. Did a course at my local college which was spread over 6 weeks and was pretty good. That said I'd been plastering for three years by then. I was looking at the NVQ recently and getting my card. The course I'd want costs £655 and is OSAT assessment only! No teaching. So I'd need to find someone willing to take me on to take me through the skills I ain't got. Floor screeding mainly. Alongside my full time job it's a bit of a non starter so, for now I'm sticking to whatever comes along.
Looked at some site work recently but my availability is a problem. Domestics are willing to wait a bit if they've heard your good but site want you now and it's £3 a m2. So if you can't do the metreage you won't make any money.
Personally I'd love to do the NVQ so go for it. For me it's gonna be domestics for a while.

Hello Chomper,

Welcome to the forum,

courses are a touchy subject, I agree you cant learn everything but I definiately beleive they can teach what you need ot know and if you apply it to each job then it always seems to fall in to place.

I dont have an NVQ but them all my customers only have ever asked to see a portfolio of work rather than a certificate.

When I work on site I just have a labourers card and this has been ok too. SOme sites are picking up on this but then thats life!

£3m2 is not a great meterage is that just for skimming board? I worked at the Emirates stadium in london and we where on £4-25 a square which werent tooo bad but still 3 hits a day and that was that we had all earnt our money.

But DPBeds, whats the 6 weeks your doing can you send me the link?

CHeers

Danny

Danny
Don't know about a link mate. It was at Barnfield college (if you're still round my way) down Enterprise way in Luton. They do four courses starting with the 6 weeker which was 2 days a week and covered float and set in s&c. Boarding (a bit but not d&d) skimming to board. repairs. reskims and coving. I thought it was worthwhile.

The other courses prepare you for the NVQ which is the 4th one I was talking about and costs £655.

I'm still in touch with the guy about the site work and he's got some hardwalling coming up. To be honest I'm not fussed about the cash I just want some site experience.

If your still about my way I may need some help soon. Got to go look at it tomorrow in Dunstable I'll let you know if you fancy it. Be v high ceilings hardwall to old lathes and repairs apparently. I'd rather have some help and get it over with cos I think it'll be fiddly. Not sure about money yet.

Be nice to put a face to the name too.

Message for dan.

Where did you learn to plaster. Did you attend any courses?and if so where.

Cheers

Hello Griff welcome,

I did a week at building skills center which was not that great but gave me an idea and with that I managed to blag a labouring job with 2 spreads which I did for a few years then I did goldtrowel which just tweaked my style and perfected it.

NOw its just practice practice practice

Danny

Re: Dot n Dab

If I have very high suction blocks to dab over. What is the best method to use. Forget a Parge coat don't want to lose any thickness on wall than necessary. Any ideas. Thanks

Never found a suction so high I had to do anything before dot n dab. Has this already caused a problem or are you just anticipating it?
I spose if it was sucking like drain you could control it with water:pva at 5:1 and let dry overnight or if you wanna make doubly sure thistle bond-it or wickes bonding agent. Just roll it on and leave it overnight.
Either way will control suction.

Thanx for your reply. With reference to thistle bondit that is used in place of seal glue and good for artex, However, not used on blocks been there gone wrong and as for pva which is water based would most likely fall off like a sheet of glass. Have since found the answer. Thanx anyway cheers all

griff the riff

Hello DPBeds,

I spoke to barnfield college today they said I cant do that NVQ says I need to do an OSAT which is what I thought...lol

Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.