Couple of things

Members online

BobbyJack

Firstly today I did a good deed. My very good friend did a short weekend plastering course as he works for a basement conversion company and wants to learn more skills to get involved in more of the work. Albeit it was a 2 day course and i said he would be better in the long run doing something more substantial he paid for it himself and did it in his own time without missing work. He also owns a very nice coffee shop that he works himself in on weekends. So today I met him at said shop as he wanted to practise his new skills on a wall. I helped him through and showed him some pointers etc etc. He actually did very well and surprised me in the standard of his first attempt. Secondly and my more important point is this. He purchased a set of Ox tools to use. Came with a 16 inch trowel, 16inch flex trowel, spatula, bucket trowel, couple of Margin trowels and tote bag. I remember not that long ago when this brand was a waste of time. The steel was crap, ergonomic of the design was just as bad etc. But today I had a go and was quite impressed. They felt nice. The standard trowel for putting on was pre worn and personally I think it was very good for laying down the coats as the steel was slightly thinner and flexible compared to my MT. I would like to see something a bit firmer with less give in it for first coating though. I had a play with the flex trowel and it was just as good as my Co.me flex trowel. All in all with a few fancy coffees it was an enjoyable Sunday morning

Firstly today I did a good deed. My very good friend did a short weekend plastering course as he works for a basement conversion company and wants to learn more skills to get involved in more of the work. Albeit it was a 2 day course and i said he would be better in the long run doing something more substantial he paid for it himself and did it in his own time without missing work. He also owns a very nice coffee shop that he works himself in on weekends. So today I met him at said shop as he wanted to practise his new skills on a wall. I helped him through and showed him some pointers etc etc. He actually did very well and surprised me in the standard of his first attempt. Secondly and my more important point is this. He purchased a set of Ox tools to use. Came with a 16 inch trowel, 16inch flex trowel, spatula, bucket trowel, couple of Margin trowels and tote bag. I remember not that long ago when this brand was a waste of time. The steel was crap, ergonomic of the design was just as bad etc. But today I had a go and was quite impressed. They felt nice. The standard trowel for putting on was pre worn and personally I think it was very good for laying down the coats as the steel was slightly thinner and flexible compared to my MT. I would like to see something a bit firmer with less give in it for first coating though. I had a play with the flex trowel and it was just as good as my Co.me flex trowel. All in all with a few fancy coffees it was an enjoyable Sunday morning
2 day course and the Clemowand and everyone is a plasterer :eek:

On a serious note I don’t think I’d bother with OX again. Bought a trowel a few years ago and it was the most solid piece of wrought iron I’ve ever handled. Wasn’t nice at all. They might have got better but when marshalltown & nela produce such good trowels, is there need for another brand.