Council Land

Members online

Hello

I have found a farm local to me that appears to be owned by the council.

It is completely derelict and has been from what i can tell for some time...

Any advice on how to go about buying it or any guidance?

I realistically only want a bit of it but could maybe stretch to buy the whole lot if needs be...

Either email/phone the council or go onto the gov website and see who owns the land? Most people who own it want way to much for it these days.

As above
Also have a look local land allocations, it might be part of a future development hence its derelict even if it's green belt

Yeah its def own by the council found some number so will give them a call on monday and see what can be done... in reality I only want a small part of it :-\

Yeah its def own by the council found some number so will give them a call on monday and see what can be done... in reality I only want a small part of it :-\
That will might cause problems for you, if you can buy the lot, put your house on it then title split it could be a better idea planning wise

Councils are feckers. They'll ask 3x the going rate then want all sorts of conditions placed on what uou build.

i would take a trip down to the local planning office to find out if they have any plans for the site.
the council will want you to make an offer.

in the middle of a depression our local council put a parcel of land with out line consent for 26 properties. it was placed in the hands of a local estate agent with all offers had to be in at a certain time on a certain day. our labourer walks into the agents 10 mins before closing time and asked how many offers have you received the answer was none. he said that he would like to offer £75,000. he did not have any money.
he placed an advert in the local paper self building plots for sale. he received 40 replies, he took the replies to the bank they could see the profit and lent him the money.

he gave 2 plots to a groundwork company in exchange for the sewer and the road. he sold me 6 plots, i got the plastering contract at my price, he then had enough to develop his first house, he took 3 years to develop the site for tax reasons and became a millionaire.
today he is a multi millionaire just sold a field with consent for 81 properties to a major developer.
i gave him a dustin down for not getting the developer to build him a 5 bed house on the site as part of the deal, i was not thinking was the answer.

i would take a trip down to the local planning office to find out if they have any plans for the site.

in the middle of a depression our local council put a parcel of land with out line consent for 26 properties. it was placed in the hands of a local estate agent with all offers had to be in at a certain time on a certain day. our labourer walks into the agents 10 mins before closing time and asked how many offers have you received the answer was none. he said that he would like to offer £75,000. he did not have any money.
he placed an advert in the local paper self building plots for sale. he received 40 replies, he took the replies to the bank they could see the profit and lent him the money.

he gave 2 plots to a groundwork company in exchange for the sewer and the road. he sold me 6 plots, i got the plastering contract at my price, he then had enough to develop his first house, he took 3 years to develop the site for tax reasons and became a millionaire.
today he is a multi millionaire just sold a field with consent for 81 properties to a major developer.
i gave him a dustin down for not getting the developer to build him a 5 bed house on the site as part of the deal, i was not thinking was the answer.
What a story that

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

There is no planning on it as we have already checked that... there is a 3 bed farm house already on it with a number of other large buildings...

I could easily let some.of the out buildings out and live in the house... just not sure I can afford to buy the whole shebang. ..

It's also really close to my current property and I am being evicted from a unit I already rent... so could come at the right time

Thats brilliant

get yourself down to the council. tell them that you will bring the farm house up to standard and you need the rest of the land made over to equestrian land, then plant some clover.
it is a lot easier to get planning permission on equestrian land then agriculture land.

There is no planning on it as we have already checked that... there is a 3 bed farm house already on it with a number of other large buildings...

I could easily let some.of the out buildings out and live in the house... just not sure I can afford to buy the whole shebang. ..

It's also really close to my current property and I am being evicted from a unit I already rent... so could come at the right time

Yeah not everyone appreciates horticulture :whistle:
IMG_5305.JPG

get yourself down to the council. tell them that you will bring the farm house up to standard and you need the rest of the land made over to equestrian land, then plant some clover.
it is a lot easier to get planning permission on equestrian land then agriculture land.
Equestrian land classed as hobby and not as agricultural, therefore you have to go through full planning, only exception is if you have horses and the staff needs living accommodation, but then that might have agricultural tie on which has its own good and bad sides.
If you classed as agricultural, you can go through planning with only planning notice to put a barn up, then 2-5 years down the line you change that to commercial then a year later to residential

Equestrian land classed as hobby and not as agricultural, therefore you have to go through full planning, only exception is if you have horses and the staff needs living accommodation, but then that might have agricultural tie on which has its own good and bad sides.
If you classed as agricultural, you can go through planning with only planning notice to put a barn up, then 2-5 years down the line you change that to commercial then a year later to residential

yes it is best as a slow process. by telling the council it is needed for equestrian land does not ring bells like i would like to get building permission on the land.

Council round here won't sell land as they keep lots for future projects but hopefully you'll get lucky Danny

yes it is best as a slow process.
it is simple to get planning in my local area at the moment. the local council did not come up with a development plan by the time allowed by the government. so the government said that it would sort the planning out. they have just accepted every planning application.
That's good going. We had a right nightmare with planning, so just went without

That's good going. We had a right nightmare with planning, so just went without

i have known the council make them take down building without planning.
one chap turned his bungalow into a two story property, the neighbours complained as he stopped their view of the marshes. the council told him that their workforce would remove the building and charge him to do it, he took it down the weekend before the demo. date.
this chap has now built a house without planning ,down a private road near the marsh.

another local built a house behind bales of straw, he thought that he would leave the straw there for a few years then he would not need permission. that got demo as well.

i have known the council make them take down building without planning.
one chap turned his bungalow into a two story property, the neighbours complained as he stopped their view of the marshes. the council told him that their workforce would remove the building and charge him to do it, he took it down the weekend before the demo. date.
this chap has now built a house without planning ,down a private road near the marsh.

another local built a house behind bales of straw, he thought that he would leave the straw there for a few years then he would not need permission. that got demo as well.
We're aware of the consequences but just had to roll the dice unfortunately or we would've probably ended up bankrupt if we don't do it

There is a chance its ear marked for 500 new build houses..... according to a few down my local but I will do some digging and see... could do with some luck.

I am getting evicted from my little unit which is not good so need to find somewhere fairly quick

There is a chance its ear marked for 500 new build houses..... according to a few down my local but I will do some digging and see... could do with some luck.

I am getting evicted from my little unit which is not good so need to find somewhere fairly quick
Get a shipping container Dan

Going to be tough when your up against the big boys when buying land they normally hold on for a while til price is right

yup... if push comes to shove I have a few other friends garages I can store my gear and car in so I will be ok (I hope)

looking at that mate £120 a month but its not ideal for working on the car...
I know you hate Facebook, but go and join a group called UK property traders, put a post up that you looking for a sourcer in a given area, there might be someone who knows something, if anything comes out of it you'll have to pay a sourcer fee but the deal will be bmv hopefully