Correct or not correct??

Members online

Sam9696

Hi all,

Along the stair well, the original plaster with the backing plaster is still on (1960s). I have knocked the hollow parts off but there is still fair amount of hollow/lose spots a long the wall as well as a lot of hair line cracks (to be expected i guess).

The question is, the plasterer has said he will go over the whole wall including the hollow sounding spots with a"tight bond coat" then follow with the 2 coats of finish. He is very confident that this will be fine and will out live myself lol and that any hairline cracks on the original plaster will not come through.

Surely going over the lose sounding spots is just asking for trouble down the line?

I just want it to be done right and if this way is ok I would appreciate any advice/feedback.

Thanks

Hi all,

Along the stair well, the original plaster with the backing plaster is still on (1960s). I have knocked the hollow parts off but there is still fair amount of hollow/lose spots a long the wall as well as a lot of hair line cracks (to be expected i guess).

The question is, the plasterer has said he will go over the whole wall including the hollow sounding spots with a"tight bond coat" then follow with the 2 coats of finish. He is very confident that this will be fine and will out live myself lol and that any hairline cracks on the original plaster will not come through.

Surely going over the lose sounding spots is just asking for trouble down the line?

I just want it to be done right and if this way is ok I would appreciate any advice/feedback.

Thanks
So if you want it doing right you would be more than happy to pay for full knock off dryline & skim...yes?

No ...overskims are only as good as substrate take all existing plaster off &/or
Them cracks will show back through the new overskim
The bonding idea is bonkers

36137E07-9678-4D2C-AC05-79A9C289B6FD.gif

Hi all,

Thanks
Listen mate if at worse he's gonna give it a tight coat of bonding at least mesh it for the strength ffs

Hi all,

Thanks
Just take it back to the brick and get floated back out in hardwall or dabbed then you'll have a proper job done

Full hack off and done from scratch is the right way but if it's out of your budget then at least get the plasterer to embed mesh In to the bonding coat to give you a chance at least

100% I can hack it off starting today. Just threw me off when he was so confident about it lasting more than me with no cracks re appearing!

So if you want it doing right you would be more than happy to pay for full knock off dryline & skim...yes

De
Hi all,

Thanks
over skim not guaranteed. Guarantee is when jump in the van it expired. It can last years or you might get problems in year time . Proper job is start from scratch again and that a guaranteed job for a life time!