Cornice

Status
Not open for further replies.

flynnyman

@mikeadams1985 image.jpg on a Job at the minute he has this I suspect it was run in situ coz of the deep bit in the middle. I am replacing with the same is it possible to run this style on a bench or would it have to be run in situ again? Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Make a mould and cast out is the easiest way and less messy ,becareful as it might be undercut although you can get away with this by softening the cove part of the cornice no one would ever notice ,especially as your not matching in as such

with the ceiling being dropped, and the cost to run in situ, its far quicker cheaper and less mess do off site casts of the cornice and install that way.

Also if cost is an issue , as opposed to an exact replica a stock cornice close to the profile should be easy enough to find,
If an exact copy is required then what mike said makes sense

Plasterwork.ie

John, drawn this up from the picture you sent, if you want to have a double check, you an see the alteration ive made to the cove part so it sits below the ceiling, as the two are not joining each other it wont be ever noticeable.

john-grimsby.jpg

Nice one mate looks good but I think a part is slightly wrong I think it should be a Cyma reversa or Cyma recta lol I'm sure you will correct me :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 338
Making a reverse mould, then casting from that. Bringing casts to site and fitting.
Wont need a loose piece mould, should just about come off, theres a bit of flexibility in the cast before its fully set.

Nah, that will come off fine, It may be a little tight but will come off. Good polish of the mould shall sort that.

Ryan is spot on . A loose piece reverse mould and cast it. Well done lad at least you have given the proper answer.

Ryan is spot on . A loose piece reverse mould and cast it. Well done lad at least you have given the proper answer.

it wont need a loose piece. Guarantee it wont need one. Im hopefully going run it tomorrow and do a couple of casts so will post a vid of it popping of :)

Lift ceiling side of first, then it will pop out. :RpS_thumbsup:

Will be running it either tomorrow or friday.
Did a cast today that was even more undercut! and it came off :)

A lose piece is the right way, but with experience you will be able to look at profiles and just go 'that will come off' / 'No chance'

Hi ryan, the mould is a plaster mould. So probably wont come of the bench in once piece, One its complete, i will cut it in half (5ft) and put it in the van, if i can get it off the bench, your welcome to take it from there as its no use to me. (plus if something goes wrong on the job i can cast a new piece in the back of the van! haha)

Profile being cut

2013-12-12 10.42.00.jpg

Core has been run and final profile on the mould ready for running

2013-12-12 13.04.31.jpg

Ran it just before finishing work so will try and do some casts tomorrow and show you how it releases

Well mike came to this job the other day and battered it in no time, nice watching someone else work for a change also Ryan turned up to pick his brains which is what I was also doing. Picked up a few tips that will make my job a lot easier next time I'm fitting some cornice anyway here are a few pics.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 288
I am trying to revive lovely fibrous cornices to go into pre 1919 houses in Grimbo as tired of boring gyproc covings where don't match the house character as I go fibrous as too much competition of cowboy solid plasterers.
its nice to see someone so keen !!! a lot of us SOLID PLASTERERS are also fibrous plasterers ryan!! back in the day we were just plasterers ( seems to be now solid, fibrous, floor layers, tackers , tape and jointers, renderers, skimmers, dot and dabbers!!!!!and it just goes on!!!) it is a pity that it has come of a bit of a separate trade, but again you are really keen to learn which a refreshing change well done mate stuy

Yeah was all one trade at one point. That's why so many jack in the box plasterers are popping up!

Btw that cornice looks amazing. Must have been a pro who fitted it. Sure I seen a pic of flynnyman fitting it???

www.michaeljadams.co.uk
Fibrous plaster mouldings.

Status
Not open for further replies.