Corner bead showing through new paint

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryebread

Hello there

New to the forum and apologies if this has been asked before!!

I've some newly plastered walls, allowed to dry thoroughly and applied mist coat and 2 x matt emulsion. But the corner bead is showing through the paint (as a "light" shadow).

I could actually see the beading shadow through the plaster before painting (dark shadow) but had no idea this was anything to worry about!

I've researched as much as I can, and my limited understanding is to apply a stain-block / undercoat and then re-emulsion.

Is this correct please, and if yes, do I need to sand back to the plaster first?

Cheers, most appreciated!!

R

a pic would help does the bit at the bead look.as if its not dried out.it should be bone white.beads tend 2 bleed when drying out but u should not see that when its painted.damp can cos the dabs used 2 stick the bead on.2 show through.

Hi JamieMac

Thanks for getting back to me! The shadow is an outline of the metal bead underneath. The surface is perfectly smooth. I don't know if it's the metal bit of the bead or the pattern in the bead which is showing through the paint as much lighter.

I left it a week before painting. Before painting, the plaster was dried pink apart from the outline of the bead visible. It was darker.

I'll try and put a picture up (I'm not too good with computers!). I can't think its damp coz it's a new internal wall - board on battens then plastered.

Cheers

R

It looks like there damp but they are not ,Had this happen on a few of my jobs and when I skimmed my own house not sure what causes it weather it's the beads these days being made cheap ,just stain block it and will be fine

It's just a stain bleeding through the plaster, stain block & then paint as normal.
No need to sand back to the plaster. :RpS_thumbup:

Think it's release agent. I was talking to a decorator and he said he normally just gives them an extra coat and that sorts it, don't hold me to that though.

Best bet, as said, is an oil based undercoat.

Hello everyone

Thanks for the advice, it's really appreciated! I've attached a picture also (hope this works!)

Snapfish: Share Photo:Registration

I didn't skim it myself so I don't know if the beads were oily I'm afraid.

I hope I've understood how to sort this properly:

1. Don't bother sanding back the paint to the plaster
  2. Apply either oil based undercoat or stain block on top of the existing emulsion
  3. Let it dry and emulsion over the top

For #2 : I've no experience of either! Any preference please to which one or a particular brand? I've read Zinsser Bulls Eye 123 is decent? And this is probably a daft question, but will applying either mean the plaster can no longer breathe, which could lead to future problems, or is this nothing to worry about

Thanks again!

R

Hello everyone

Thanks for the advice, it's really appreciated! I've tried to attach a picture but i can't get it to work sorry.

I didn't skim it myself so I don't know if the beads were oily I'm afraid.

I hope I've understood how to sort this properly:

1. Don't bother sanding back the paint to the plaster
  2. Apply either oil based undercoat or stain block on top of the existing emulsion
  3. Let it dry and emulsion over the top

For #2 : I've no experience of either! Any preference please to which one or a particular brand? I've read Zinsser Bulls Eye 123 is decent? And this is probably a daft question, but will applying either mean the plaster can no longer breathe, which could lead to future problems, or is this nothing to worry about?

Thanks again!

R

Yes to all 3.
The red tin of Zinsseer dries quick but not cheap.
Oil based undercoat is cheaper but leave till next day.
Don't worry about the plaster not breathing it's only on the corners :RpS_thumbup:

Now get painting :RpS_biggrin:

Agreed with undercoat, best thing to do. Those spray on stain blocks dry powdery and aint oil based so any stains will come back through over time. Also the sprays coat everything in the area in a fine powder mist so be aware of that if you use it.

Hello everyone

Applying an oil-based stain block and then painting over did the trick! I hope this helps - I first applied the stain block using a brush but the final painted finish wasn't very good. Using one of those small foam rollers to apply a thin coat of stain block gave a much better finish.

Thanks again! R

Status
Not open for further replies.