contaminated plaster

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilPlaster

Private Member
Been to see a job and one wall has been assessed and the result is contaminated plaster. The customer origonally thought it was damp. Could I board it or would it be better to s+c? They rang today to say that the whole wall prob needs to be stripped back to brick as its crumbling so sounds like its a blank brick wall.

Havent got a clue. Basically went to see a job. Wall paper was peeling off the wall and looked to me like the result of damp. Woman said no we have had it tested by(god knows) and they said its not damp its contaminated plaster?!
So I said ok we can cut it out dryline and feather in and she said "oh no the previous guy we got a quote from said whoever does it get them to s+c with waterproofer so its done properly" etc. I said ok if thats what you want then ok , she rings today and says now shes stripped the wallpaper off its all coming off and instead of a 3ft high by 8ft max strip its lookin like the whole wall plus theres other bits etc.
She said obviously I dont want to pay more and with time being a factor in price she wants to keep it low but she then said shed rather pay more and get it done properly ???

never heard of contaminated plaster ???.......i'd use sbr s/c etc to be on the safe side unless its all over the shop

whats the wall is it single skim, stone, block, brick ?

Don't you just hate the ' the other plasterer I had for a quote said this' b*ll***s! Why if you were convinced by the other guy get other quotes! Who's to say he isn't talking shite! One of my bug bears!!

spunky said:
never heard of contaminated plaster ???.......i'd use sbr s/c etc to be on the safe side unless its all over the shop

whats the wall is it single skim, stone, block, brick ?

you would have sbr on your cornflakes spunky lol

leave him alone you big bully
warnpmod.gif
being silly

;D...........i hate sbr i'd dab it im just sying that cause thats the proper way spose ;D

if its all hanging and heavy thicknesses etc cant we sbr slurry, scratch with w/proofer then dab ???

Yeh, Im going round on Monday to see it before I start so I'll see what state its in. Im hoping the walls pretty flat. Dont even know how much of the walls gonna/gotta be taken off but its only 8ft long anyway so not that big a deal. I just want to have that and the living room done in 2 days. Its split into two rooms with an arch and loads of nibs so by the time Ive sheeted up etc ! Plus I dont know how much else they've taken off from when I first saw it :-[
I'll get there in the end.

For s+c , do I have to scratch coat first, day one or can I set my screeds and fill in the same day( same as hardwall)? Soz lads not much experience with this.

So just rule it off! Suppose I could scratch it then second coat same day? What thickness does internal have to be?

put a level on the wall and as long as it isnt like a hand cart then do away with the screeds.

If it is brick give it a real good dusting down and also a good drink of water as they are thirsty buggers.

Make sure there is enough mechanical key there, this depends on the type of brick, if they are smooth you may need to rendaid first or similar

if you are just gonna skim over and you can get the wall flat in one then one is fine but watch that suction on the brick mate !!

Just don't try & do it in one coat if there's any thickness needed.
Better giving it 2 thinner coats & the 1st will slow the suction for the second giving you more time to get it flat if you haven't got much experience in this ;)
Nothing worse than trying to skim backing coats that are all over the place :-\
It's our job to get the wall flat ;)
;D

Nisus said:
Just don't try & do it in one coat if there's any thickness needed.
Better giving it 2 thinner coats & the 1st will slow the suction for the second giving you more time to get it flat if you haven't got much experience in this ;)
Nothing worse than trying to skim backing coats that are all over the place :-\
It's our job to get the wall flat ;)
;D
Yeh been thinkin and I reckon your right, Ill do it in two coats, Ill just do the second the same day when its gone in. Last thing I want is it bein too heavy and sagging on me!

I know a bloke puts it on really thick in one coat sags like fcuk & cracks where it's sagging
& he skims the fcucker the cracks all come through the skim ruff ba5tard :eek:

contaminated??? sounds like they got salt comin thru. Had a similar prob recently and used SOVEIRGN
w/proofer. Great gear, its got a salt neutraliser in it, better than SIKA

Just been to see it again and its not the whole wall. Its two strips either side with the middle being sound. So its just a case of ruling off against it. sorted :).
She wants the fire place taking out and boarding internally. Does this need to be fire board with a vent in the top board ? Shes gonna fit an electric fire eventually

Status
Not open for further replies.