Coloured plaster

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

s.p.t plastering

I've had somebody ask me to give thme a quote to plaster there house and they said in the kitchen and couple of rooms they want a coloured plaster that they have seen, and reckon there is a type of pigment powder you can get...

News to me...Anybody heard of this or seen it?

never sin any thing except that polished plastering vids on u tube there the only way off get a coulared finish i think

yer from what iv sin you have to skim the wall as normal then u put the resin layer on top wotch it coulared but for how i was explained its like a 3 day job

about this coloured plaster theyve seen...

whats the betting its 'pink' :RpS_laugh:

how many times has the woman gone 'oooo i like that colour, might not paint it'

If you can get the pigment it could be done you'd want to use exactly the same amount of water plaster and pigment per mix and use knauf it's White, use a sponge too so it comes out even

Yeah it'd be pretty hard to gauge out...........She reckons she has seen pigment powders to dye the plaster and if i could do it......I said to show me the link or website to where she seen it...

I reckon it'd look well nice if you could.

Suprised you can't get coloured plasters or dyes though.....

They did it on that Grand Designs tv show, it doesn't give a uniform colour, but still looked ok. Might be worth experimenting with some mortar pigment and doing a few sample boards?

over in the states they have a sand finish skim a bit like interior render but a skim in a bag fished with a sponge not trowel.before the bagged finish they used to make there own using sand, lime and gauging plaster.if you cud get a white gauging plaster use white sand with the lime you cud dye this and sponge finish might look alright

all the pigments we use in venetian come in liquid form-ive tried to use cement dye and it looked great until i rubbed my hand over it and got a black hand-dont know if this would happen with skim or not-venetian is a lime based material so gypsum might behave differently

Had a go a while back with pibments , it mixed ok but seem to bleed through when troweling up , end product shite.

Rock What I had was some left over from last year it was cream powder from a lime company. Anyway mixed it with the water first then used multi..

Maybe there on about thin coat render system put on a new build they saw ? These can be purchased bre bagged with many colour options

I have done this a few times, you need to use liquid pigment and knauf finish. dont use powder pigment as it will bleed and streak. Dont put too much on and work it while its wet to keep lines to a minimum. Gauge all water, powder and pigment to keep the mixes exactly the same, go back after 2-3days when completely dry and seal with a penetrating sealer or beeswax, if you use beeswax you can then polish it to a shine. Have fun!!!!!

CKJ
Can you tell me where you are getting liquid pigments?
I looked long and hard for good, strong, vibrant powdered pigments, as I felt that most were too earthy(basically variations of brown).
My company is source4me, which was mentioned earlier in this thread.
I had 20 plus years as a builder but am now aiming at 'niche' building materials.

the knauff white finish with universal tints will work......you will only get pastel to deep pastel colors before the tint load is too much for the plaster....we used to do it ...but predominately only with textured walls......dont even bother with the dry pigments ...like someone above said it will streak and bleed ...more trouble then its worth

Status
Not open for further replies.