Colour match render - which sand?

futtret

This is driving me nuts so will just start by saying f*** sake!!

Trying to patch repair this with 5:1 sand:cement (building or plastering sand).
That's mostly the original scratch coat in the photo, i've patched it in at bottom left area.
I've got the canterbury spar stones already.
8WaTIdZ.jpg

Thought the answer would be WHITE sand + grey cement.
The building sand I have is brown hence the 5:1 mortar dries a light beigey/brown. Adding cement not ideal.
Local merchants aberdeenshire only do a tonne bag of white sand - I only need a 25kg bag.

I can pick up one of these on my travels - FS1 sand?? is it ok for rendering or too gritty?

Have also seen SILVER sand mentioned on here.
Google search silver sand, some/all of it is fecking brown. Not silver.
'struth.

Grateful for your thoughts.
Existing top coat appears quite a powdery texture as compared to a harder existing scratch coat

This is driving me nuts so will just start by saying f*** sake!!

Trying to patch repair this with 5:1 sand:cement (building or plastering sand).
That's mostly the original scratch coat in the photo, i've patched it in at bottom left area.
I've got the canterbury spar stones already.
8WaTIdZ.jpg

Thought the answer would be WHITE sand + grey cement.
The building sand I have is brown hence the 5:1 mortar dries a light beigey/brown. Adding cement not ideal.
Local merchants aberdeenshire only do a tonne bag of white sand - I only need a 25kg bag.

I can pick up one of these on my travels - FS1 sand?? is it ok for rendering or too gritty?

Have also seen SILVER sand mentioned on here.
Google search silver sand, some/all of it is fecking brown. Not silver.
'struth.

Grateful for your thoughts.
Existing top coat appears quite a powdery texture as compared to a harder existing scratch coat
Only sand I generally use is silver and it definitely is silver so not a myth

Have you tried 4 rendering sand 1 building sand 1 cement 10/15 years of weathering with a wheelie bin in front of it?
I get the point that it wont be a perfect match but one can only try.
I suppose all im really trying to understand is how they got the colour of the original scratch coat which hasn't been weathered as per photo - would it likely have ben white or silver sand? seems to much 'ight grey' to have been brown sand.

wtf is "rendering sand".....??

Talk about over complicating a bit of making good.
Dashing was nearly always done with building sand.
5:1:1/2 put it on, throw some stones at it, clean up and open a beer.
The exact same mix and materials can look quite different from one day to the next if drying conditions are different.
Honestly stop worrying, it'll look fine.