Cold weather rendering

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saquach

Hi guys what do u all recommend for rendering in feb.i recently use rapid set cement to float up and it was great layer and floated a chimney in. 2 hrs.is this ok to render like this or any other sugestions to get render to set quicker

I find the rapid brings out salts later on in the plaster, I used frost proofer accelerator in January, it is faster than normal but not fast enough, we were still finishing at four ish,that was after putting on till ten am

I used Rapid in December at 3c under the dpc and it set in 3 hrs. I would make sure the scratch coat is well cured first though.

We have mixed the two on occasion but very hard to determine the time saved if any,but rapid used at a weak mix ratio is also slow. I would like proper info on this too and the salts I find pertaining to the use of rapid,great stuff for small areas definitely.

We pay just under £20 per tonne, washed is the same its just the lime that makes it more expensive. I find the Silver more consistent and brings up a better finish.

not everyone likes silver sand, I think its an acquired taste
I only ever used it once to go over a rendered wall where the plasterer had done all the block lines crooked. Not sure if we sbr before hand, I was in my early twenties then.

I also find that this cement
H002445_6_1.jpg

About ten pound a bag for extra rapid upto fifteen in places, what time would a coat of render take to go off in dry conditions been put onto a scratch that has had it's drying time? That is a mix using rapid and OPc fifty fifty ?

John what would you do if u needed to put waterproofer in to the mix as can't add any other addatives ie frostproofer ? Would be handy if u could answer this . . . Cheers

Ah no problem , the frost hasn't been round my end latley but gettin down to 1-2 degrees which isn't perfect, thursdays looking like a good day on forecast . . . 11 degrees through the day ! Big gable end to do like

John what would you do if u needed to put waterproofer in to the mix as can't add any other addatives ie frostproofer ? Would be handy if u could answer this . . . Cheers

I would use waterproofer and quick cem. At your chosen mix/amount.

About ten pound a bag for extra rapid upto fifteen in places, what time would a coat of render take to go off in dry conditions been put onto a scratch that has had it's drying time? That is a mix using rapid and OPc fifty fifty ?

Not sure mate I only use it when going over tanking

Say one 10mm to 15mm coat can be rubbed up after 2-3hrs.

If I don't use it you need to rub up next day.

Not sure mate I only use it when going over tanking

Say one 10mm to 15mm coat can be rubbed up after 2-3hrs.

If I don't use it you need to rub up next day.

This is using neat quickcem at 3:1 s&c for dampwork.

Tried to use extra rapid once in the summer to patch half a metre on a gable end, the fooking stuff was rock hard and steaming in the bucket before i could even put the ladder up.

A bit difficult one to answer. I always use Feb but now they are Ever build although they still market Feb rendamix. I once rang Feb with this question and they did not advise using frost proofer with a plastiser or plasticised water proofer like Renda Mix. They told me use Feb Febtite powder with Feb Febspeed powder.

Only trouble no one stocked it so I had to a box full of each. It did work though and was nice stuff to use. Still have a few bags left but I bet they are going on for 10 years old now. I rang them about their Febspeed liquid not being to fast setting but admitted to using Febmix as well. They said it was the Febmix that was retarding the accelerator then they told me about the powder version.

Maybe the rapid with waterproofer might work? I dont usually have a problem though. I hack off and wet the wall down same day to get the dust off. If I have to I give it a light spray of water if it is too high a suction. Preferably I have enough suction to take most of the water in but leave enough water to make it set and cure. Any frost and hopefully what little water is in the mix the air entrainer will handle. I don't put waterproofer in the second coat. Wintamix has an accelerator, air entrainer and hardener although it can sometimes be a bit slow. Get mixed up by 10am and I might get away before dark.

I also cover it up with debris netting to keep the frost out.

Last edited:
It is a might though, had,it tough in January with frost proofer accelerator near freezing temps but not quite

Best way is not to render til clocks go forward if u dont have too, or when its too hot or windy but we have to and its hardly ever perfect conditions imo

Cheers in anyway john , a no a hoped rigby mite of turned up he's seems well clued up with products out for rendering , its getting done tomorrow in anyways so let's get it on haha

Aye a na no good like , ment to be nice the moro well suposed to be , was warm soon as sut like me and lab done a bit sun bathin ! Well we cud of

Status
Not open for further replies.