Client being funny!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shayplast

Hi all I would like some advice on how to handle a situation I am in. I have just pebble dashed a full back of a terraced house. The end result looks really great however there is the banding line where the scaffolding level meets the wall, ( in this case was very close to the wall) I found it difficult to render this area but then its always a tricky bit. When it came to dashing the pebbles in this particular area it was near impossible to make it join without it resulting in banding. Once the scaffolding came down these particular areas were noticeable, so much so the client has asked for us to make good.

We have agreed to make good stating that we can hack off the areas where the scaffolding meets the wall and patch up from ladders ensuring the end result will be bang on!! However over night the customer has decided he wants it all knocking off and wants us to re render in a tyrolean finish.

We argued that this wasnt in the contract and that we would make good what he was unhappy with but the customer argues he payed for new work to be done and patching is not leaving a 'new look' finish.

Surely he can not expect us to do this for nothing. He is expecting us to pay for re erection of scaffolding, knock off and re render in a completely different finish that isnt on the contract all because he decides he doesnt want us make good.

I believe the client is being a 'funny c***' and I am not sure how to handle this situation. I would like to add that in my 8 years plastering I have never been in a situation like this. I take pride in my work.

This job overall has been a job from hell and I dont want this ruining a great reputation that has been built over many years.

What do i do?

UK Scaffolding erected it but I have nothing to do with them. The job is done through a builder of which we are subbying to

The builder was happy with us making amendments. To be honest the client is pulling some of the builders work also trying to get extras for free.

Tbh dont think i would be happy with hacking off the poor join area and patching up? On a new dashed wall.
You mabye should have told the builder/ customer it wasnt suitable for you point out the pitfalls?

Sounds a bit of a lack of organisation...who you working to? Builder or home owner?

This job has been anything but organised. Being told to scratch up walls before theyve cut and knocked out doorways and bricked up others. Its been a joke. Working to the builder Wont be working for him again.

It's the Venus fly trap and you're stuck in it, horrible to say but the client has a point,"the end result looks great but it's not " its an experience you won't forget .hard to get scaffold set up properly for plastering .

could you not put a cement slurry over the top so it looks more like wet dash but do the whole elevation prob not he sounds a c**t

tut tut tut... your the dasher... you should have sorted the scaffold out yourself to ensure you were far enough off the wall to not get a joint.. im always altering bloody scaffold so we dont get joints... there is no way to repair dashing at all without seeing a joint... seems to me that a lack of experience has caused the problem here...

To fix the job you could

1. tyrolean over the whole elevation to hide the joint but tyrolean is expensive
2. you could ask customer if he would be happy with a raised band say 12 inches deep covering the joint
3. bite the bullet and do it again if the builder supplies the scaffold (correctly erected)and materials

if you have lift height bandings showing, its your fault mate, you should,nt have started it until the scaffold was right for you, sorry but the customer is right, woulkd you want your house to look like that ? tough, but end of the day you did the job..., only way is re-do it pal...

If it was my house I'd be the same. Only thing you can ask for is the cost difference between the dashing and the tyrolean.

if you have lift height bandings showing, its your fault mate, you should,nt have started it until the scaffold was right for you, sorry but the customer is right, woulkd you want your house to look like that ? tough, but end of the day you did the job..., only way is re-do it pal...
Totally agree

Wallcrete a brick effect band around the middle :)

or

Fix up a 12" x 1" plank of timber over the join & throw in a free basket ball net attached to it for them :RpS_thumbup:

if you have been plastering eight years you should have known better,, sorry mate but like others have said its down to you,, if i was the customer i would not be happy with a new job looking shi t

If your busy just right the job off, don't ask for any money or take any money, move to next job. . . But if you've got nout on then you may aswel sort it out to get some brass in.

happened to me last month. discussed the scaffold with the builder. we agreed it was to close. he wasnt for moving it. school boy error. i dashed the 30sqm panel and hey presto a big dirty scaff line. no patching. i payed for the scaffold to be re erected and materials. we over dashed the panel. will never make that mistake again cost me 600£. and never listen to a builder !!!!!!!

D.R Plastering - Call now on 07875390281

Shayplast, sorry to say this, but if it was your house will you be paying the Spreads. I dont think so. There is no way you will get paid. Put it down to experience. We've all messed up even if we dont want to admit it.
Many years ago the company I worked for employed a couple of spreads that did the same on a nursing home. They dashed the top lift, had a cuppa and read the paper in the morning. Dashed the middle lift stopped again for a cuppa. Dashed the ground floor in the afternoon. What a picture when the scaffold came down. Two very bad joints
The best bit our gaffa employed a right tw at to be the foreman. All he did was phone if we all left the site early so we got money docked. Well this foreman, only in the game about 4 years said to the site agent there is no problem he will sort out the dash joints. He got a disc cutter, cut out above and below the joint. Dashed and ended up with two joints. We were on the floor in hysterics.
The Site Agents face was a picture. The company did not get paid. The "foreman" got the boot with the other two spreads. We got more work and a pay rise. Great days when going to site was a scream.
Like you said the scaffold was too close, so why dash.

Ok so i took all your advice and saw this as a learning curve and accepted to take of the back and gable of the house and re do it. Problem is the customer has said she doesn't like pebbledash and wants everything ripped off and redoing in tyrolean at our cost!! Surely this cant be right? This includes work she was happy with. The builder has said by law she can do that if shes pays for the tyrolean only. I really need some up to date legal advice here guys so i can arm myself. I dont wana be doing all that labour for free especially when the contract says pebbledash i find it hard to believe she can just ask for a different finish for nothing.

You've done the honourable thing and rectified your work, she's takin the p1ss now, fock her!

Ok so i took all your advice and saw this as a learning curve and accepted to take of the back and gable of the house and re do it. Problem is the customer has said she doesn't like pebbledash and wants everything ripped off and redoing in tyrolean at our cost!! Surely this cant be right? This includes work she was happy with. The builder has said by law she can do that if shes pays for the tyrolean only. I really need some up to date legal advice here guys so i can arm myself. I dont wana be doing all that labour for free especially when the contract says pebbledash i find it hard to believe she can just ask for a different finish for nothing.

Why on earth would you do it all for free, jesus christ!!!!
Just put right what you ballsed up & thats it mate.
Sorry i dont know much about the legal issue here as ive never made a mistake in my 30 years :RpS_cool:

Apparently she has a recording of me saying we were working under strict time constraints and that ultimately its affected our work. I did say that yes in regards to the pebbledash and i said il re do it. The builder has £2500 outstanding and hes tryna tell me that UCATT have said we havent a leg to stand on as the client can say shes stressed out and gets it all for free and will use the recording as evidence. STRESSED!

Tyrolean takes an extra ahift because obviously the topcoat has to be dry. Do like for like or charge the extra time.

Status
Not open for further replies.