Cleaning up skirting boards after skimming

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anorak

Although I know i is best to remove skirting boards before skimming and replace them afterwards, all the plasterers I know prefer them to stay in place so they have something to work down to.

The thing is, the top of my skirts (dating from 1900) are beveled and the botom of the skim after pastering does not run along the top of them in a uniformly straight line.

My question is: what is the best way to tidy up the plaster from the bottom of the skim along the top of the skirting board? I use wire wool and sugar soap at the moment and will chip away gently at any really large protusions of plaster with the flat end of a screwdriver - but is there any way to get a neater line between the two?

Thanks in advance for any and all help offered.

they should have done it as they plastered ,, easier to clean them as u go while its soft

Blimey, I used to think the GiffGaff forum provided prompt responses, but ths one beats it hands down!

Many thanks for the advice - I can see myself sanding and scraping today!

Apologies as well for not introducing myself on the new menbers thread as well, as recommended in my introductory email. It arrived after I posted this.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.