Cleaning brickwork

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

liam123

Got a customer whose asked me to remove some render and clean the bricks as she doesn't want it replacing,my question is what's the best way/product to clean the bricks without causing damage or discoloration.I'm thinking brick acid or something similar but never removed render before so wanted sum ideas/tips first so I don't cause any unnecessary and costly damage.

Thanks in advance

It is nearly impossible to do it, render sticks and becomes part of the brick, give them serious warning of this before you start.

we do have a machine for stripping render off brick, but this is more a surface prep to go over again than cleaning the bricks. sounds like it could be a toughy

I've warned them iv no idea what the brickwork will look like wen render is removed but as its cracked and hanging off in places they want it removed but don't have the money to put it back on so just wanting to try best for them on there limited budget.places were render has fallen off already the bricks seem quite clean as if it's not bonded to the bricks at all

Knock the render off and clean the bricks as best you can with bolster ,hammer and a wire brush. then rake out and re'point the joints.:RpS_thumbup:

Thats a toughie, could work out, could look like shite, you might end up pointing the brickwork.best of luck

Another problem can be the reason it was rendered in the first place, I wonder seriously what the cheaper option is, re rendering or cleaning,making good and pointing,?

Another problem can be the reason it was rendered in the first place, I wonder seriously what the cheaper option is, re rendering or cleaning,making good and pointing,?

My thought exactly... Will take an age to clean the bricks and then repoint:RpS_confused:

Only real option is to hack off and then see, it needs to come off anyway, do initial costing for that, rest later on, say your crystal ball is not working yet,

i hate clients that say "can you give me a price for x but we dnt have much money" we facking save some money up before you get work done then FFS

take off the render, wire brush brick work, apply acid and jet wash off. Not much else you can do for little money. But sometimes the render is there for a reson like rubbish brickwork or old windows or doors taken out and bricked up so watch out as you may have to have another plan just incase. Good luck.

If you remove all the rendering you may have to replace with a more thermal render to bring the property upto current U Values.

I've warned them iv no idea what the brickwork will look like wen render is removed but as its cracked and hanging off in places they want it removed but don't have the money to put it back on so just wanting to try best for them on there limited budget.places were render has fallen off already the bricks seem quite clean as if it's not bonded to the bricks at all

My advice, walk away.

External render is not part of the councils remit re insulation it's only render removed internally, we used to have to put sixty mm insulated board on the inside of external walls if we removed 25 percent of the render,

Status
Not open for further replies.