Church finish??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jambo

Evening chaps.
Have been asked by a builder mate of mine to provide a "church finish" to a barn conversion. Apparently the rougher the better, just wanted any thoughts really on what type of finish this is and how you might go about achieving it??
Thanks in advance

I've done something similar, if you have something to match its easier. Put the skim on as normal then trowel across or upwards but one or the other. Have your trowel near enough flat sitting on the gear this will give you a texture then see if he likes that.

If your floating as well I would use a straight edge bout 600mm long just to take the high spots off ,leaving it with humps and bumps when you come to finish it,done loads like this

Evening chaps.
Have been asked by a builder mate of mine to provide a "church finish" to a barn conversion. Apparently the rougher the better, just wanted any thoughts really on what type of finish this is and how you might go about achieving it??
Thanks in advance

sounds like an old English cottage texture, or aleemans new build:inocente::lol: texture

I'm pretty sure it is matching some existing, but have yet to see the job. I'll be turning up on the day to do it,
Just trying to give myself a heads up.
Cheers boys

Try and do a sample finish agreed by the builder in the prescence of the client if possible, will save any dissagreements later.
Very good advise pop over tomorrow and take some pics and agree on it coz if they change their mind it's you and your mate working for nothing :)

Lay on thick and knock baton up into crucifix then dab it all over ! Bless your work as you go. Simples :coffe:

By church finish they mean medieval fling coat need one of theses bad boys tho
Desktop-Catapult.jpg

Evening chaps.
Thanks in advance
Most church finsh is lime mortar

church finish also known as alpine finish,
a small amount of sharp sand mixed with multi finish. a straight edge needs to be held in the horizontal position,with a float held in the upright position drag it along the straight edge. this will leave drag lines from the sharp sand.
this finish was used on the early buildings at essex university [60s] it has now been decorated so often that the pattern is lost.

church finish also known as alpine finish,
a small amount of sharp sand mixed with multi finish. a straight edge needs to be held in the horizontal position,with a float held in the upright position drag it along the straight edge. this will leave drag lines from the sharp sand.
this finish was used on the early buildings at essex university [60s] it has now been decorated so often that the pattern is lost.
Th ought alpine was similar to rau putz in Germany and an external product?

Worked in Germany in the '80s. There exteriors, in Bavaria at least we're called Alpine. They used to dot n dab muck with a bucket trowel to a depth of about 40mm and rub it up so to speak with a bit of 4 by 2, about 3 foot long" when I was a 19 yr old university student I spent a summer over there rubbing up with a wooden float with an Irish sponge finish . They feckin loved the finish but they used to make me so pisssed every night I couldn't touch the frauleins. Gutted

Worked in Germany in the '80s. There exteriors, in Bavaria at least we're called Alpine. They used to dot n dab muck with a bucket trowel to a depth of about 40mm and rub it up so to speak with a bit of 4 by 2, about 3 foot long" when I was a 19 yr old university student I spent a summer over there rubbing up with a wooden float with an Irish sponge finish . They feckin loved the finish but they used to make me so pisssed every night I couldn't touch the frauleins. Gutted
Worked in Germany in late 90s had to leave in the end after 3 years for my health haha to much partying lol

Th ought alpine was similar to rau putz in Germany and an external product?

it is usually an external finish, at essex university they had it as an internal finish which was called a church finish.,other areas left face blockwork. i guess that is what the architect has spec. on this barn contract.

The more you try the shitter it will look. just keep it simple . another name for it is oldie world'y .

Worked in Germany in late 90s had to leave in the end after 3 years for my health haha to much partying lol
What part were u in?.I was there in 96 for a year.I had to see what machine plastering was like.Worked for a while near Dusseldorf and then Berlin.Crazy place.

What part were u in?.I was there in 96 for a year.I had to see what machine plastering was like.Worked for a while near Dusseldorf and then Berlin.Crazy place.
Never was in East side but was near r dusseldorf for a few months in trier and koln, baden baden, stuttgart and Munich loved it from 97 to 01

Status
Not open for further replies.