Chimney breast sooted render

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phillcbr400

Just removed the chimney breast and the next step will be to get it all plastered over, but don't want the soot on the old render seeping through after.
not really a fan of boards so want to avoid that really.
I've search on here and some say aliminium wood paint. Never used this and not sure if it would provide a good key or suction for the plaster.
I've just come across sulphate resistive cement, will this work.

before hand I will try and grind off as much as I can and wash down, with what I'm sure yet.
thanks

Aluminum primer is good kit and will stop the soot bleeding through, if it kills to much suction taking away the key just tack it up with some PVA, or use a bonding agent.

I have used damp proof membrane doin the same thing, cover the sooted area then you can plaster over it. it may be a bit expensive tho buyin a full roll just for a small area:RpS_unsure:

Last edited:
Does this sound like a good plan of action. Or maybe over the top.
1. Grind off as much as I can without damaging the brick
2. Try too key it up abit
3. Wash down with soapy water or oven cleaner
4. Paint with aliminium primer
5. Pva
6. Render with sulphate resistive cement
7. Plaster

Does this sound like a good plan of action. Or maybe over the top.
1. Grind off as much as I can without damaging the brick
2. Try too key it up abit

4. Paint with aliminium primer
5. Sbr
6. Render with sulphate resistive cement
7. Plaster
Be careful grinding,mask and goggles, the dust would be terrible,.i never had problems with bleed my self and I never used the aluminium primer

Cheers John I will be wearing all the PPE needed.
By that post do you mean miss out the wash down? I.e step 3. Or has it just not copied properly.
I can't post pics at the moment but once I can ill get some before and afters up.

Cheers John I will be wearing all the PPE needed.
By that post do you mean miss out the wash down? I.e step 3. Or has it just not copied properly.
I can't post pics at the moment but once I can ill get some before and afters up.
I would not wash it myself, hack off as much as possible wire brush too, brush down, dampen it, then sbr it with cement and sbr about 2/1 or even a splatter coat of slurry cement sand 3/1 with sbr in the water 5/1 sbr water.good to go with render then, sulphate resistant cement to sand ratio 5/1 with sand been the five,you may need two coats if its heavy or lacking in suction, if so let it pull in scratch and finish the next day, don't skim for a week.

i would cover the area of soot with felt or building paper to stop bleed through, then fit eml. float and set

Get a scutch hammer at it, then SBR slurry followed by a sand n cement coat. EML if it looks like it needs one but the brickwork is usually rough enough to not need it :RpS_thumbup:

i worked on a old farm house many years ago and all the old plaster was taken off by the builder, the builder also had taken down some of the old chimneys, walls all covered in soot. Now the old plasterer i was working with said to me to go jump on a dumper and drive down to the next farm and get a load of cow muck, come back with it and cover the soot with the muck, as i started to laugh at his idea he said no it kills off the soot and hit me for laughing at him (as i was only a young weak lad back then), anyway brused and batted i did as i was told, when i got to the other farm i told the farmer what i wanted and what it was for and laughed again. This time he hit me and said the old plasterer is right it does kill off soot. 1, never laugh at an old plasterer, 2, never laugh at an old farmer, 3, use cow poo on soot as i works !!!, 4, to get back at an old plasterer put said cow poo in his snap bag ( i was'nt that young and weak). I miss old Dave, happy days.

honestly mate, done hundreds just get off all the soot you can with stiff brush, wet it down and scrubb it too, then just pva it bout 50/50 and hardwall/render over.... never had a bleed yet. 15 year in game

Status
Not open for further replies.