chimney breast leaking ?

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebigfella

hi went to look at a job yesterday and its a bit of a head scratcher there's a chimney breast in a hall way up stairs that is leaking a yellow substances and theres a couple of patch on the ceiling above the breast too ? it looks like nicotine but its not but it continually leaks out ? they`ve had a roofer out and there is no signs of a leak and somebody else has been out and said its a reaction with the plaster and the soot ? has anyone else come across this ? any help is greatly appreciated thanks

i need to get up there to check the loft but its a old house and the loft hatch is 1ft x 1ft so ive got to wait until the joiner has made a new opening and there getting another roofer to check i think, its just strange its leaking a yellow liquid

i need to get up there to check the loft but its a old house and the loft hatch is 1ft x 1ft so ive got to wait until the joiner has made a new opening and there getting another roofer to check i think, its just strange its leaking a yellow liquid
Send a small Victorian street urchin up there to have a look or loose some weight and change ya name to Thesmallfella.:RpS_biggrin:

Experienced this before bigfella, it looked like damp patches on a chimney breast, down the side of a fire place opening.it was to do with the soot? Think it can cause salts in the brickwork, passes thru to the surface an attracts moisture? Lookin like a damp patch?? This may be your problem:RpS_thumbup:

seen that loads of times FA... normally when some clown blocks up the fireplace and doesnt put a vent in

Could be a sulphur stain highlighted by condensation biglad :RpS_thumbup:
so would chopping off the old render and reapply s&c and taking the damaged area of the ceiling down and replace with foil back plasterboard cure the problem or do i need something else in combat the sulphur stain ?

the chimney breast down stairs is fine but it has been re plastered a few years ago ? could it need a vent in it upstairs as well ? i just want to be able to do the job and cure the problem and not get called back as its not worked :RpS_cool:

so would chopping off the old render and reapply s&c and taking the damaged area of the ceiling down and replace with foil back plasterboard cure the problem or do i need something else in combat the sulphur stain ?

And rake out all the joints and re-fill them..........

Is the chimney in use? If it is, it may need re-lining :RpS_thumbup:

And get the roofer to bang a mushroom cowl on the top, vent the breast on all floor levels and put salt-inhibitors in your render mix :RpS_thumbup:

It's probably tracking through the plaster so when you clean everything off make sure you get a coat of render behind the joist if possible. If you can't then use a bit of damp course or similar to form a barrier.

Just read this thread and thought of sulphur, I've got an open fire and its a smokey area (countryside) so use proper coal - ash can be yellowish.

This is the most helpful thread ive seen on here for ages...........we must be going soft in our old age..............:RpS_thumbup:

Think every one was being nice and helpful cause your called....THE BIGFELLA !:-0:RpS_scared::RpS_scared:!!:-0

Ha ha ha ha I'm not that big ? 6ft5 is standard size isn't it ?

Does that included your shoes?

A02162CA-75D3-464E-A304-A186D7EE7965-1209-000001E27292893C.jpg

:RpS_scared: :RpS_lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.