Cheque!

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlasterCraftDundee

finished off a job today for a friend of my mum's son. I also knew him from school, so I said I would do it a bit cheaper than normal. Just as I was finishing he popped his head in and asked how much it was again. I was expecting a nice envelope to appear, but he had his cheque book out! By the time Mr taxman takes his cut and the materials are paid for it was hardly worth doing the job! :muyenojado:

I don't accept cheques anymore. Most petrol stations don't so I don't see why I should. Sometimes I can't get them in until Saturday morning and if I get the cheque on a Monday then that's about ten days before it will clear. Three days is the best case scenario if I manage to get it in the same day. Internet banking or cash. I have a card machine but I don't use that often because it still takes a while to clear. On larger projects clients may ask me if they can pay on credit card because I advertise the facility. I'll make sure I have a signed contract for those and a lot of photos.

I don't accept cheques anymore. Most petrol stations don't so I don't see why I should. Sometimes I can't get them in until Saturday morning and if I get the cheque on a Monday then that's about ten days before it will clear. Three days is the best case scenario if I manage to get it in the same day. Internet banking or cash. I have a card machine but I don't use that often because it still takes a while to clear. On larger projects clients may ask me if they can pay on credit card because I advertise the facility. I'll make sure I have a signed contract for those and a lot of photos.

Do many of your clients take up the offer to pay by card? I have been thinking about offering it for a couple of years but not sure if it is really something many people would want to use.

You have to make it clear at the start your preferred way to be paid.Farmers are notorious for writing a cheque for the smallest amounts in my experience.

PayPal do a card reader and I have one and it's ok but if you do accept it.. I would be banging on an extra 3%....

Bank transfer is fine but folding pictures works better as you can declare it to the tax man as you feel fit ;-)

Stopped taking them myself now as well ... tired on small shitty domestic jobs of having to go the bank ....

I refuse cheques now.
It's either cash, bank transfer or I whip out my chip and pin machine it's great when customers say they not been to the bank and only have a card :)

You can get chip and pin from your bank, PayPal, izettle etc. If you got a PayPal business account you can tap the numbers in by hand no need for a card reader. Charges are anything from 1.7% upwards but you can also put it on the bill so basically the customer pays for the privilege to pay you on the spot. Personally I don't mind taking cheques from old folks or businesses as long as they don't bounce back, had no worries about it so far.

finished off a job today for a friend of my mum's son. I also knew him from school, so I said I would do it a bit cheaper than normal. Just as I was finishing he popped his head in and asked how much it was again. I was expecting a nice envelope to appear, but he had his cheque book out! By the time Mr taxman takes his cut and the materials are paid for it was hardly worth doing the job! :muyenojado:

Arent you your mums son?

f**k cheques, everytime I have to go to the bank I risk a parking fine or have to pay parking.
Plus the opening hours are 5 days a week 9:30-15:30 I mean wtf.

Status
Not open for further replies.