checkatrade 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,
Im new here. Great forum.
Just wanted to ask what peoples opinions were of checkatrade now?
I did find a post from 2011 with mixed reviews but am interested what the the thoughts are now. Iv been speaking to people that absolutely swear by it but 600 smackers seems alot!!

Many thanks.
Nobbi :)

I use checkatrade. Paid the 900quid subscription. Must of got atleast 5k since on that level in april. Not my main source of work tho

Hi guys,
Im new here. Great forum.
Just wanted to ask what peoples opinions were of checkatrade now?
I did find a post from 2011 with mixed reviews but am interested what the the thoughts are now. Iv been speaking to people that absolutely swear by it but 600 smackers seems alot!!

Many thanks.
Nobbi :)

welcome along Nobbi :RpS_thumbsup: why not give us a little intro, I bloody love a good intro me....theres been some crackers lately.
I think lead generators work better in some areas of the country than others, Id explore the cheaper forms of advertising first before laying out that much. Do you have a website?

checkatrdes fine i get a couple of calls a week from it i usually pick up at least a couple or so jobs a month from that mention plasterers forum if y decide to join i think you get 50 quid off your first year

Ah, I didn't know there was a subscription (@danny!! You never said when we chatted - lol I should have guessed it wasn't free :rolleyes)).

I've used Checkatrade recently actually, and Rated People. I need some garden clearing/ maintenance work done. I liked Checkatrade's interface better. You can choose up to 4 companies to call you back. Describe the job to them and they call you. Testimonials/ reviews are really easy for future customers to have a read through when choosing.

Having said that, a man came to quote, great price but when I tried to contact him to go ahead - nada! It would be mean of me to write anything on his profile but this is an important factor because now I am having to go through the whole process again to find someone else. (And I have and it's booked - so let's hope he turns up!).

Rated People - the professional has to pay each time to get full details of a prospective job. I think up to 3 can show interest - lol I got none! So then I started getting emails from Rated People, telling me what a sh!t job it obviously was as no one had paid to find out more. (Well they didn't exactly say that - but that's how it makes you feel as a customer).

Anyway, if you're just starting out then look at cheaper options although really any form of advertising is not cheap - I know! Look at it as an investment. If you only got 2 jobs from it, it would almost pay for itself... And if you do invest in it, make sure you check it regularly, be quick on the follow ups and that in itself can then lead to word of mouth referrals - not everyone knows someone who knows someone in a trade that they are looking for.

Thanks for the replies guys.... a little intro eh... ok
Not sure what you wabt to hear bit here goes..
Dad wanted me to pay rent so found me a job labouring for a plasterer at 17... after many a hard day being torn apart physically and mentally... 12 years on and here I am lol
Iv been working for a housing association for the last 3 years and decided now is the time to take the plunge and go on my own. Im still officially employed until mid aug so trying to get a head start. Already have a bit of a customer base i guess so I have a few jobs booked in already. Im also pretty handy with most aspects of building so im advertising property maintenance too. When I say advertising I mean so far, a facebook page. Checkatrade is appealing to me because 1. Iv heard good things from fellow spreads. 2. You kinda get a little ish website through them aswell as fliers etc and C. Iv recently moved to swindon from newbury. So my main work through word of mouth will be around newbury area and Im hoping to establish myself in the swindon area possibly with help from checkatrade. Iv been in contact with a few local builders etc and have had some positive noise back saying they have some bits coming up etc. Also have a job planned for a large conservatory company so hopefully get abit from them.
Any tips from you guys would be much appreciated

We only wanted to know how big your knob was..........................:rolleyes)

Good intro . welcome along..................:RpS_thumbup:

they might help they might not , ive never needed online help for work ,guess i never will , some find it helpfull tho , guess its pot luck :RpS_unsure: my late father told me believe nothing what you here and only half of what you see , guess im doing all right up to now on that advice

Last edited:
Yeh I have a meeting with them this month. Im already doing ok from word of mouth but I want to be extremely rich !!
Also looked into mybuilder and rated people. Heard alot of bad reviews about rated people but mybuilder seems ok... any experience?

Yeh I have a meeting with them this month. Im already doing ok from word of mouth but I want to be extremely rich !!
Also looked into mybuilder and rated people. Heard alot of bad reviews about rated people but mybuilder seems ok... any experience?

mention TPF and get £50 off :D

If I was you I would get that @Danny Geezer to build you a website. In the long run it will get you more work and looks more professional :RpS_thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
I would like you to do a web page for me Danny ,i am getting my pictures in place first ,will email you when done :RpS_thumbup:

Awezome :)

I am doing one for robjack at the moment and they are taking me a bit longer than usual :-( the renovation is keeping me very busy :)

Email me when you are some where near and I can start pencilling in the time :)

I can do you a great website keith. Just Pm me the deets buddy. I'm cheaper and much better than Danny

Just let me know when you want me too start keith.........................:RpS_thumbup:

Dont trust that Danny kid.......................he's a geordie dancer...................:RpS_thumbdn:

Danny do you have any examples of yours too please and the wand how much do you charge mate?
I think im still going to try checkatrade because im sure I will make the 600 back over the course of a year and its another way of advertising but defo need a website too

Awezome :)

I am doing one for robjack at the moment and they are taking me a bit longer than usual :-( the renovation is keeping me very busy :)

Email me when you are some where near and I can start pencilling in the time :)
Alright bud I'm looking for a website doing moving Exeter in about 4 weeks so will give you a call soon cheers :RpS_thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.