Cheapskates

Members online

Jgreenplastering

Private Member
Not on about skates that are cheap but who knows of another plasterer or themselves they'd call a cheapskate that has that annoying pointless money saving habit an why?

After reading @olicans post about his beads I know there is actually people out there who keep those off cuts and would use them again on another job even joining some together.

Im all for saving offcuts on one job but then unless there basically a full length ill bin them as they'll only get put in the garage and forgotten/left in van and damaged.

If you don't have enough money on a job to buy new beads your either tight as f**k or need to up your prices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cost more to shift them little leftovers all the time and whenever you need that little bit which you know you got it, it won't be on your van, it will be buried in the lock up and will cost more to go and get it than buying a new one. Hence I skip 99% of leftovers, part boards, part beads, part bags goes in the skip, more hassle than it's worth.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Some smaller beads work for small windows. I keep them. Call me a cheapskate but if the beads are paid for on the first job and booked again on the second then that's 100% profit for the bead you manage to use on the next job.

I only use to keep the stainless off cuts then go and weigh them in at teh end of teh year for a bit of a bonus :D along with copper :D

Some smaller beads work for small windows. I keep them. Call me a cheapskate but if the beads are paid for on the first job and booked again on the second then that's 100% profit for the bead you manage to use on the next job.
I didn't realize you were a Yorkshire man....well done.

Don't get me wrong if I have use for them on the next job then I may keep them but how many do you keep before you have more off cuts than new beads? There's only a certain amount needed/used for small windows etc unless you work on estates exclusively for hobbits!?

Don't get me wrong if I have use for them on the next job then I may keep them but how many do you keep before you have more off cuts than new beads? There's only a certain amount needed/used for small windows etc unless you work on estates exclusively for hobbits!?

Yeah I've got exclusivity for the shire in middle earth. Those bagginsis pay very well.

I don't keep them all. If they're about 3 ft I'll keep them. Under 3 ft they go in the skip.

All those offcuts I had were full length but got twisted, my lockup is overflowing so had a clear out. Must of been a hundred beads in there , probably salvaged about a dozen. I keep the obscure ones, 6mm stops, 25mm stops expansions etc . The rest got slung

Off cuts save my days,also

Make great Christmas decorations
Easter presents
Allotment runner bean poles/ plant holders
Drum stick's
Kid canes
Tailgate window lobber's
Paint stirring
Coat hangers
Back scratcher
Drain clearing
Toilet unblocker
Musical triangles
Lamp shades
Lock picks

Last edited by a moderator:
Think it makes a difference if you pay for it yourself in past working for people I'd ditch the lot now I save half scrim rolls beads if can be useful and 1/4 bags of finish even pick up screws if I've dropped them I see as money now cos it's my money not someone else's bit like how the Mrs finds it easy to spend my wages

Bin everything.
Can't be arsed with that shite.
Tried it all before and you're never any better off in the long run, it's just extra hassle I can do without tbh.

I used to keep bits and pieces but I had a good clear out of my shed and could not believe the amount of crap I had. No need!

I don't keep them all. If they're about 3 ft I'll keep them. Under 3 ft they go in the skip.

Yup.

I knew a guy doing tape and joint he was so cheap youd have three part bags of various set times for a room, never had new sanding gear and would "borrow" your tools constantly. He bought a van off his mate, talked him down and then short changed him. He was a hustler, lived for it, holidays in the tropics, fancy meals out, would talk his way into a bottle of wine anywhere.

I learnt a lot from that guy, but probably more on the business side of things, mostly what not to do - he was wealthy enough, and liked by many, but wasnt really a plasterer, and not really a bloke I'd like to be. Just because you have a bit of coin and a lot of friendly associations doesn't make you a top man

Yup.

I knew a guy doing tape and joint he was so cheap youd have three part bags of various set times for a room, never had new sanding gear and would "borrow" your tools constantly. He bought a van off his mate, talked him down and then short changed him. He was a hustler, lived for it, holidays in the tropics, fancy meals out, would talk his way into a bottle of wine anywhere.

I learnt a lot from that guy, but probably more on the business side of things, mostly what not to do - he was wealthy enough, and liked by many, but wasnt really a plasterer, and not really a bloke I'd like to be. Just because you have a bit of coin and a lot of friendly associations doesn't make you a top man
I hate people like that and avoid them. Rather have fewer true friends. Clearing out and decluttering is good for the mind. Bit like going to the tip and getting rid of loads of s**t.i love that.